Daughter Got Chickenpox Even Though She Has Had the Chickenpox Vaccine...

Has this happen to anyone else? My 4 1/2 year old daughter woke up with chickenpox on the day she was suppose to start her first day of kindergarden. She has had the chickenpox vaccine at 1 years old and again at 4 which was this past October. I took her to the doctor and they said yes it was chicken pox. She only has about 50 of them which on on her bottom and on the back of her legs. No where else. My question is: Have anyone else child got chicken pox even though they have had the vaccine?

Thank you all you wonderful mommy and daddy's out there that responded to my post. I glad to no that I am not the only one that has gone through this. My daughter will go back to the dr monday morning to see when she can get the ok to enter school. Hopefully this week with be her first day of kinder:)

Vaccinations don't always prevent, but they can sometimes lessen. They don't prevent nearly as much as they'd have you believe. It's incredibly common.

I have not had it happen to my kids but I have heard it is possible. They usually get a mild case instead of a severe one if they do get it. Sorry you are going through this.

My daughter had the vaccine at either 12 or 15 months (I forget) and then got chicken pox from lovely daycare at 16 months. I called the Dr. when she had all these red bumps on her becuase I thought it was allergies or a rash or something. When they asked me what it looked like I told them it looked like cp, but she had been vaccinated. They told me that the vaccine mostly takes away the illness of the disease and lessens the intensity. They also told me that she was not contagious because of the vax, and daycare agreed and let her in the next day (I called to ask first, I didn't just hsow up with her.) She only had about 50 dots and no fever, itching, etc.

It is one of the vax that we considered skipping, but I'm glad that she had both. Now she is even less likely to get them again when it can be more uncomfortable and dangerous. :)

The chicken pox vaccine does NOT prevent a child from getting the chicken pox. It does lessen the severity if/when they get the chicken pox. This is why I hate that they require this vaccine now.

The myth of you can't get chicken pox once you have had chicken pox is bogus too. Once you have it, it lessens your chances of getting it again but the milder the case, the more likely you are to get it again. I know from experience. When I was a toddler I had a mild case, then when my little sisters got it when I was 10, I got it again and worse then they had it. I now have scars even though I never scratched them. My son had a bad case when he was 8 months, he also has scars. The doctor says his case was also bad enough that he shouldn't get it again but nothing is 100%. He wasn't required to have the vaccine since he had already had it.

I think that it is good to let kids get the virus if they are going to get it when they are young to build their immunity (seems to work better than the vaccine) since getting chicken pox as a teen or adult can be much more serious. No, I don't agree with taking a child around it so they can get it but I disagree with the vaccine.

The vaccination lessens the severity should the child get it :) Good thing she had the vaccination, it would've been a lot worse had she not had it, yay :)

Sorry to another mom, but yes getting the vaccine lessens the severity in a large quantity of kids. They don't just inject water in you. Sometimes a child's genetics or immune system will be a case that it may not coincide with the vaccine and there may be a case where it is severe, but most will lessen the severity. But as J. can see with her child it was less severe than usual chicken pox.

The US became wimps when TSA was born lol There's a difference in trying to lessen diseases, which is compassion, and being over-paranoid about every little thing. 100 people die of chicken pox every year and it would be way more without the vaccine which is proven through past numbers before the vaccine was licensed in 1995.

just about every one of my friends who had their kids get the vax, has gotten the chicken pox. This is one of the reasons why I am not doing this vax with my kids

Way before the vaccine existed, I had chickenpox as a baby, when my older brothers had it. I had about 6 spots and a mild fever and never got it again. My younger sister got chicken pox at age 18. She missed FOUR WEEKS of school. She had multiple waves of spots over her entire body. The spots were uncountable. She was very sick and miserable.

Your daughter is benefiting from the vaccinations.

The vax does not eliminate the risk, it just lessens the severity if contracted. The illness prior to breaking out w/a rash is the worst part, you should be thankful your daughter got such a mild case, YEAH for you guys...could have been a lot worse! I notice you're not too far away from us...makes me wonder if there is going to be an outbreak soon, ugh! And, of course it had to present itself on the first day of school :) figures!

1 / 3