Daughter Constantly Sick Since Starting Preschool

My 3 year old started preschool in September. She got a cold within the first week. As soon as she got over that cold she came home the next week with the flu. She finished the antibiotics, went back to school for about 2 weeks and got strep. I am starting to worry about her getting sick so often. Is this normal? Should I pull her out of that school? I need help. I have a 2 yearold at home that catches everything my 3 year old brings home. My 3 year old usually only got sick about once a year up untill now. I am worried it could be something serious or is it just what happens when your children start school? Will she grow out of it? She is my first child to start school so I am new to the experience.

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate all the advice and experiences you all have shared with me. I think I am going to set an appointment to talk to her docter a little more about this. I will keep you all updated on how it goes. Thank you again.

My Grandbabies have been in two daycares in three years and this daycaare they are in now, they always get sick. But, it is to be expected becasue of so many little germs being passed around all day. I started taking them clorox wipes for the toys and antibacterial soap to wash their hands. All the teacher has to do is use it. I even have their mom bathe them in this antibacterial soap when they come home, especially since it's the cold season

Unfortunately, this just sort of comes with the territory. Both my kids had to go through a "you've got to be kidding - they are sick again" year, but then it does get better. My six year old is sick only every couple months now. My two year old got everything at first and it has slowed down. Their immune systems have to build up at sometime. I heard that kids who don't go to preschool have the same rite of passage in kindergarten (if they didn't do it earlier).

Usually over time kids build up an immunity, and it helps siblings also; however; if you are worried, you should call the doctor.

My daughter is 2 and started going to daycare this year and was also getting every illness around. Our doctor said its just what happens and maybe by the time she is in school she might not get sick as much. We do get every cold or tummy bug but for us we have stuck it out. You have to decide what is best for you.

Hi A., yes it is normal and it will get better. The thing to do is make sure she gets plenty of sleep and fluids and I give my kids a children's vitimin with extra C and it seems to help alot. And keep them out of the public around the holiday season because everybody is sick and spreading germs, wash your hands and your kids' hands ALOT especially after you come home from shopping and school. Also, two more things to look forward to---you will probably catch more illnesses from your kids than anywhere else and at the beginning of EVERY school year they will come down with something and it will seem to jump start their immune system to be prepared for the incoming cold season. Then it will just get better after the first of the year. I have had alot of experience with this since I have 6 kids and they have given me more colds and flu than when I was working as a dental assistant and two inches from people's faces all day long. Good Luck and take care of yourself cause you will be taking care of eveyone else and you deserve to be healthy.
M. B.
PS. I know this is gross but head lice is VERY sneaky and is easy for small children to catch and always breaks out at the beginning of the school year.

When my daughter started a real day care she got and ear infection in the first weeks of being there after that it was something after another. The doctor said if she didn't get it now she would get it when she starts school. Going off of what my doctor said I would say yes it is normal.

My oldest daughter(now 9 yrs. old) never went to preschool or daycare when she was younger. When she started kindergarten, she was constantly catching stuff. The doctor explained that it is quite common for this to happen. I now have a 2 1/2yr. old and am hoping she doesnt go thru it. Kinda hope big sister will "share" the school germs with her and it will not be so bad when she begins preschool/daycare/kindergarten. It felt like my daughter was sick ALL the time....
Hope that helps if nothing else but reassurance.

I have a 5 year old daughter who has asthma, her trigger is a cold. When she gets one and the meds don't work we get to go to the hospital for a few days, not fun. The way we have prevented many illnesses is hand santizer. Before she stared preschool we went to bath and body works and I let her pick out a few different smelling hand sanitizers and she gets to take a different one to school each week. She likes the smell which promotes her to use it more. She knows about handwashing and her school is good about telling kids to wash after the restroom and before eating, but the sanitizer is in her cubby where she always has access. I have seen how overwhelmed these teachers can get and I can't expect them to do everything so teaching your child to take care of thier own health is good. My daughter has been out only once this school year and that was for head lice. yuk Hope this helps

Yes, this is normal. If up unitl now she has been home with you, then she's not been exposed to much illness. She is just building up her immunities. I had the healthiest boy around until he started daycare at 2, and then he was sick constantly for almost a solid year. Since the first year, and all the illness, he's been better, usually nothing more than a cold or very rarely a stomach virus (hard to fight off!). Good luck!

1 / 3