Daughter Constantly Complains of Stomach Ache

Hi moms,

My 3 1/2 year old daughter constantly complains of a stomach ache. I have passed it off as her way of telling me she is hungry or tired or wants attention (as she has a 1 year old little brother)for several months, but now I am starting to get worried that it could really be something that I should address. Could she have low blood sugar? Could it be a real medical problem.

This is what happens almost every day: She will start to act real dumpy and lethargic and start whining. When I ask her what is wrong, she'll say that her tummy hurts, or that she isn't feeling well. In trying to determine the real problem (is she hungry, or tired, or just needing attention) I'll ask if she wants something to eat, or drink. Only occationlly I think is it related to being hungry. Most of the time, if she just has some juice or milk, she will pep back up in 10 to 15 minutes. This is what has led me to think that maybe there is a blood sugar issue or something that I'm not paying attention to. I just don't wat to be one of those moms that thinks she is just doing it for attention, only to find out several months later that she has some real medical problem. By the way, she is having regular bowel movements, so I don't think it is constipation.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

Recently my son (9) also went through something similar to this and I was told by a friend to give him lemon juice. I was skeptical but did it anyway and it worked. His stomache acidity was out of wack and that was all he needed. I also know that peppermint and garlic are also good for stomache aches. And there is a lot of research out there about the positive affects of apple cider vinegar.

I hope that helps.

Hi Holly,

Gluten intolerance can create stomach pains. Maybe keep a food log and see what she is reacting to and how long after she eats.

www.DenverJuicePlus.com

I would set up an appointment. In the meantime, I would keep a diary of what she eats and when and when she complains of feeling that way or when you notice the change. It does sound like it could be blood sugar. When I was little, my mom would make me eat some peanut butter (I did it straight, but on something is fine, too) and drink some orange juice. I usually felt better and the protein in the peanut butter kept me feeling good. Also, for my son and me, smaller meals more often help a lot. GL!

I would call the dr and setup an appointment. They can do some blood tests to rule out illness' And if by chance she has low sugar you don't want that to get worse.

I know many times the kids just want to be kids. You know. But as a rule I don't think that act sick if they are not.

An example, I used to get sick when I ate peas, of course mom and grandma and step dad all said it was in my head. You know don't want to eat my greens. lol. When I was 24 I found out I am allergic to peas. So all those years they thought I was trying to get out of eatting peas, I really was getting sick from them. hehe. My grandma feels really bad now. haha.

Good Luck to you

Hi H.,
Have you ever checked if she has allergies to foods.My daughter has tons and we had blood work done when she was a year old because she would get crabby.The doctors can do blood work to see what the baseline looks like and if you need to see an allergist. I hope this helps and gl.

I hope that helps.

I agree. Take her to the doctor, especially if she is making the same complaints to Dad. While you are waiting for the appointment, write down what she is eating when and when she is complaining about her tummy and when you are noticing her being lethargic. This information will be important to your doctor. Start keeping track now. Good luck!

In my opinion, its better to be safe than sorry. Like you said, you don't want to let it go only to find that it was something more serious than what you thought. Since you are concerned, I would say to make an appointment with her pediatrician. They can check for all kinds of things. With her being lethargic and as you said, once she gets some juice in her she is fine a little bit later, it may be blood sugar related. I have seen commercials on TV where you can get a free meter to check blood sugar. I actually work in a call center and take calls for that. If I happen to catch a number, I can give it to you to call. The meter is COMPLETELY FREE. Usually there would have to be an official diagnosis of Diabetes to get one but I'm sure some people just say they have to get one.

When your daughter complains about stomach aches, put your ear to her stomach and listen. You know what your stomach feels like and sounds like when it hurts. See if you can find any "noises" in her stomach like yours. Also listen to her stomach when she doesn't complain of pain to see if there is a difference.

See a doctor to run a food panel (they will have to draw blood) for allergies. Have the doctor test for parasites. H. Pilori (sp?) can be found in tap water and will be detected through a stool sample (May have to have a couple of stool samples taken). The stool sample may also show if there is blood in the stool.

Keep a food log/diary all the time and list her condition/mood, such as lethargic, cranky, etc. Maybe there is a link between what she eats and her belly aches/crankyness/etc. Take both the food log & if you notice 'belly sounds' to the doctor.

I have a daugter with digestive problems and we regularly see a Pediatric Gastroenterologist. I believe my daughter's dietary/digestive problems are due to her prematurity.

Bottom line...bring your girl to a doctor.

I would have her checked for a bladder/kidney infection. I went through this with my little girl too. Good luck.

1 / 3