Daughter Beginning Puberty at 8 - Vancouver,WA

My daughter is already starting to get breasts...and i also noticed she has some pubic hair. Is anyone else experiencing this with their children at this age? I do admit that my family does have a history of starting their periods at age 9 and above, but I'm just not ready for it.(Even though I will deal with it)

I have talked to her about having a period, just in case.

Thank you all so much for the great input. My daughter did have a check up and the doctor did tell me she had some breast tissue developing, and not to worry too much about it. I think the pubic hair just shocked me. I have had the period talk with her, even a little about sex(the difference between boys and girls). I have a great book called "A child is born" where I was able to show her the diagrams of what genitals look like and all that fun stuff. My family are early starters, I just didn't expect it all to happen so fast. I do feel alot better now that I know other womens children are experiencing the same thing. THANK YOU~!

Yes! My 8 yr old stepdaughter has little breast buds and pubic hair. We also have to shave her underarms. I know kids are reaching puberty earlier and earlier, but I think a possible culprit is too much soy. There are traces of soy everywhere now, and it is filled with estrogen. They are even finding little boys are developing breast tissue/fat....

Well my daughter is only 5 so she isn't experiencing any puberty type things right now. But I remember being in 3rd grade (8 yrs old) and having breasts and was starting to get pubic hair, but I didn't start my period until I was 12. So maybe she's just developing early and her period will come later.
If she's uncomfortable, because she's being teased or just because her breasts are uncomfortable from doing school activities (I remember hating to run in PE because my boobs were bouncing and they were tender!) maybe you should consider buying her a sports bra/training bra for her.

Well, I started my period when I was 8! I got breasts early too. its been so long I really dont remember when, but I do remember being the only one who had breasts in grade school. Until 6th grade with another girl got them! yah! LOL... this was back in 1978 which was not a common thing as we see nowadays.

Puberty seems to start. Kids are bigger and growing faster. I totally agree with the other mom on here that said its in the hormones they give animals to make them produce whether its the milk, eggs and for the meat.

ok, now for a funny thing! I remember starting my period for the first time! My mom had explained that I need to change my pad often. So when I changed my pad for the first time, I left it on the counter in the bathroom!!! LOL... she saw it and showed me how to wrap it up and put in the garbage! LOL....

Grandma's take on this is:
1. Research shows that girls who live closer to the equator used mature sexually earlier than girls farther north or south. It was attributed to the fact that the days were longer and the prolonged exposure to sunlight IN THE EYES produced hormonal changes in the pituitary gland. Now girls in the climes farther from the equator are developing earlier than ever before. Why? More exposure to electric lights and TV light! (This report was in Scientific American magazine maybe 10 years ago!) Earlier bedtimes can slow down this phenemonon.
2. Another hormonal change is now attributed to the common use of plastics to store foods. Most plastics emit estrogen into our foods, especially if we heat them in plastic. Notice how many more "soft", overweight boys there are with early "boy-boobs"? Weight loss, increased physical activity and more glass microwave plates could help. And maybe slow down the maturation of little girls, too.
3. I was born in 1941, and it seems to me that I now live in a very different world. But I remember Patty in my class. She wore a bra in the 2nd or 3rd grade. B-cup! She was also the chubbiest girl in the class. It made her very self-concious and shy. I wish I had been more sympathetic with her, but I remember being jealous, too. I still am! (I never got past a B-cup, and now have had a mastectomy!) But I was very active - jungle gyms, running, dancing, sports. She just seemed to watch from the sidelines. It seems to me that if a kindly woman teacher had had a talk with all of us about Patty's development and encouraged us to include her in all our physical activites, she would have lost weight and been much happier.

I would talk with her pediatrician about reproduction suppression. Synarel is a nasal spray that will supress things for a while. When I was a surrogate, I was ab;e to use this instead of Lupron to make myself not ovulate. 8 years is so very young! Also, you might try not using food that has horomones- more organic.

My daughter started her period at 10. I expected, by the doctor's calculations that she would be tall (5'8")when she grew up as she was always 80%. I was disappointed that she would start puberty at such a young age, not only because it a burdon to bare when a girl is so young but because it also starts the bones plates to respond to the hormones It could be a genetic thing for her, I'm not tall and I started at 11 but I never was tall, just less than 50% all throughout my life. to slow growth (heights). However, you may want to talk to her doctor to see what other causes besides genetics it could be as it could affect her final height and at 8 she wouldn't seem to be an adult height.
According to some friends of mine in the biotech business, I learned that chicken has the highest density of growth hormones in its meat. The time between hatching and being full sizes for processing is unnaturally short and is one big source for hormone injection by children (aren't we taught that chicken is less fatty than beef. Beef has less dense hormones per pound, though it still has hormones.) My daugheter ate allot of chicken nuggets coming home from school everyday before I made that connection.
So maybe organic meats would be the way to go at this time.
Just food for thought, no pun intended.

My daughter also started getting pubic hair at that age. I didn't think too much of it because I started getting at age 10. However, I did not get my period until I was about 14. My daughter is 13 now and has not started yet either. I've been told that when a girl is overweight it can jump start puberty. My daughter is overweight now, but at 8 she was not. But after she started puberty, she started gaining weight. I was always overweight as a child and adult. So who knows. But it is a good idea to talk to her about these changes and whats to come. Let her know how important it is that she tells you when it does happen. Keep an eye on her eating habits. Make sure there's always something low calorie and healthy to snack on.

My daughter started developing at 8 as well. I was a little freaked out at first too because I didn't start developing until I was 12. She seemed so much younger and I felt inaddequate to talk to her at such a young age because I didn't want to frighten her. I also knew that I had to talk to her so she didn't find out by "accident" like I did the first time. I found the book by American Girl Company "The Care & Keeping Of YOU" to be a very good resource. You can pick it up at Barnes and Noble or Borders. Bath and Body Works also carries it sometimes. I read it through with her and then let her go through it on her own. Now she is almost 12 and still hasn't started her cycle, but I know she is better prepared for it. The important thing is to make her feel comfortable and that this is a normal stage of life.

I got breasts in 3rd grade, and my period in 5th. By 5th I had a size A cup. It's not that uncommon. Oh and in response to the topic of dairy being the cause, it is possible, but persoanly I was alergic to milk and didn't have a drop of ANY dairy product not even yogurt until I was well into my teens. Alot of puberty is triggered by bodyfat. You have to have a certain amount of bodyfat before your body kicks in to make these things happen, that is why some athletic girls don't get their periods until they are well into their teens, or anorexics lose their periods. We are more well fed these days and bodyfat means healthy enough to have babies biologicly speaking.

I would take her to the Dr. If everything is OK, just let nature take it's course. I was 9 when I started developing, almost 12 when I started my period. I felt weird enough, and having everyone point it out made me feel worse. As the oldest, everything that happened to me was noticed, and I felt weird and ashamed about something I had no control over. Take her in for a physical, then leave her alone.

Oh is it hard, I actually got my period when i was 9 but it so confusing because the doctors said it was all these other conditions. What i would say to you is to talk to your daughter about as much as she can understand. Make her get confortable with herself because i remember felling akward, i remember having breast and all at 9 and some of my cousins and aunts would traumatize me by asking me for some because the were smaller than me and i was just starting. Just be open about it and get her to trust you its very important. Hope the best for you and your daughter

1 / 3