Daughter 15 and Still Has Not Started Cycle

I dont know if I should be worried or not but I was thinking about this last night and thought I'd ask all you your opinion. My 15 year old daughter still has not started her period, but my 11 year old started when she was 9. Last night I got to thinkiong that the older one should of started by now!! I started when I was 12 and although I thought that my now 11 year old started early ---Im wondering if I should be worried that something is the matter.....Please give me your thoughts -I know some girls start later but I would think familys usually are about the same....

Thank You all so much for so many responses!!! I dont think we need to be worried ; however I will mention it to her Dr. next time we go. So much good info that I would not of been able to get any other way. Thanks Again!!

She is thin? A girl will not start until she sustains a certain percentage of body fat. This is why girls who do gymnastics, swimming or ice skating tend not to start until after they quit the sport... Because their bodies have such a higher percentage of muscle than fat.

Some women do not start their cycles until they are 17. If by then she has not started her cycle you may want to seek medical advise.

S.,

My sisters both started when they were 15 & 16. I unfortunately started at 11! How unfair is that? If you are concerned you might the doctor.

Peace,

Hi there. My name is jennifer. i am 35 years old..and my husband and i are just now..expecting our first child. As for me, I too started my period at 11. By chance, is your 15 yr old daughter you are speaking of, is she by chance really active in a particular sport or do gymnastics...or anything of that nature? I ask, because I have heard over the years, that girls who are very active..like in some kind of sport or does gymnastics..or just really active, that..that can cause delay in starting of period...OR..if the girl has already started, if she too is active and/or in some sort of sport activity that they rarely have periods. My guess is has something to do with that. If this isnt the case with your daughter...I would suggest contacting her pediatrician to see what they might say about it. But...I would venture to say...that will be one of their first questions...is that of what I asked..about sports or being really active in some sort of activity. OR...a great resource....which I use for EVERYTHING...is Google. Go to google..in the search field, put something like......"Reasons why my 15 yr old daughter has not started her period"..and see what all it pulls up. Im going to google real quick for you...and will advise you...on what I find as well, now. ***READ BELOW***

Best Regards,
Jennifer ********************************************************************

Dr Morrison's advice
95% of girls have their first period (menarche) between 11 and 15 years, and tend to take after their mothers in the timing of this. Most of the remaining five percent start between 10 and 16 years. As long as secondary sexual characteristics such as breasts (and a little pubic and underarm hair) have begun to develop by 14 years, periods will definitely follow on and there's no need to worry.

However, anyone over 14 years who hasn't begun to develop secondary sexual characteristics, should probably be checked out by a hormonal specialist (endocrinologist) just to make sure there isn't a problem that may need treatment. Glandular imbalance is usually from the thyroid gland, the ovaries or pituitary gland in the brain, but is extremely rare.

In a very few cases, there may be an anatomical problem where the sexual organs have not formed properly e.g. inadequately developed womb, or possibly an unbroken hymen. Rarer still are chromosome abnormalities such as Turner's syndrome, but this sort of condition would have been known about from birth.

********************************************************************

I dont think theres anything to worry about. Its not unusual for some women to start until 17 or 18. I was very active as a teen and didnt start until 16 and remember reading something about if you are over-active, too skinny, or really athletic your body isnt really ready to carry a baby so it wont produce a cycle. My sister started at 12 and me at 16. I wouldnt worry. But she should have her first gyno appointment soon anyway and ask any questions of concern....And Congrats on being married 20 years! I think thats awesome

I would suggest not to worry as every female's body is different. My mother and sister was a late starter, 16 or 17, whereas I started at the age of 11, yet I ran track, played basketball, and was very active outdoors. However, having your daughter visit an OBGYN does not hurt. Hope all is well!

I didn't start until Sept. of my senior year at 17. My mom and sister started when they were 12. I was very athletic. Our doctor said not to worry until I was eighteen. (My mom was worried too)

I would not worry if your daughter is thin or athletic. I did not get my period until I was nearly 16. I was very active (swim team, basketball, running) so I was thin. If this is not the case with your daughter, you may want to talk to a doctor as this may be signs of a problem.

is she super thin? sometimes skinnyer gals dont start or stop there periods because of weight. go ahead and take her to the gyno and make sure she is ok.

I started around 10ish, but my older sis didn't start until she was around 15. Is your older daughter athletic at all? I think that was the biggest difference between my sis & me physically- she would go out & play football, baseball, etc with the boys in the neighborhood while I'd have my head buried in a book. I have heard countless times that often when a young girl is very active, she'll start later.

If you're really concerned something could be wrong, I would take her to a doc just in case. Mom instincts are the best, and it's good to know what's going on.

I know a lot of the posts say if she is thin that might be a reason. Also is she is overweight, that could be a reason too. There are a lot of factors that can mess with our cycle. I have something called polycystic ovarian syndrome and it causes skip periods. I would wait a little longer and if she still hasn't started take her to the doc. I am sure she is fine.

1 / 3