Darkening Skin on Upper Lip

Hello Ladies. So I have this skin issue and I am wondering if anyone has ideas on what can help. For the past two months, I have had this really dark patch of skin on my upper lip. I know some people get it with pregnancy, but I'm not pregnant! I have tried concealers, but they seem to enhance it instead of hiding it. So I look like I have a mustache. Scary! Does anyone have any good suggestions to treat this? I am on a limited budget so I can't spend a lot on fancy products. I am looking for something that will work with minimal cost. Thanks!

I have a similar issue, just a darkening, same it can appear that I've mustache sometimes (ew) though I'm fairhaired. Mostly I'm just really careful to put sunscreen on my upper lip, drink lots of water (that's just instrumental with taking care of skin). There is no skin bleaching system, I worked at a dermatologist office at one point, skin bleaching is a myth (unless one has Vitiligo).

I wonder if you could use Mederma? It would take a while to disappear it, but for about $15 you can get a tube of it & at least try.

HI C.,
It is normally hormones who are the culprit. A clustering of melanin & can be very annoying. Revelage is an amazing skin "brightner" NOT Lightener. No Bleaching agents it just works on the melanin. Topical you apply as it breaks up the melanin and the darkening disappears. You can read more at www.naturallylovely.myarbonne.com if you have any questions please email me. You can see results in as little as 15 min. But over 80% saw amazing results in just 3-4 days! Take care, G

Consider reading about melasma and "the mask of pregnancy" and see if that info fits your experience. I remember reading while I was pregnant that the U.S. is the only place where women are told this is a normal side effect of pregnancy (or having been pregnant); everywhere else, it is treated as a Vitamin B deficiency and the uneven skin patches clear right up.
My midwife told me vitamin injections are metabolized faster and more effectively than capsules. Vitamin B is a great anti-nausea, so I had an injection of it when I was throwing up with pregnancy, and it was less than $15 (I paid out of pocket for my maternity care). It worked great for nausea; consider looking into to it see if it would help clear up your skin (which I'm sure is not as bad as you think!)

I am an Esthetician and retired RN with a professional skin care practice in the Denver Tech Center. I have many things to recommend and some very inexpensive. But I need to ask you some specific questions first about you skin type. Feel free to email directly (and anyone else may too,) ____@____.com may also check my website: www.customskinsolutions.com

Hi C., I can relate! At some point before having kids I too noticed a darkening "moustache" over my lip. I've had no formal training, but am happy to share some things that have worked for me:

- Bleaching the hair. It's not stubbly, but rather soft peach-fuzz hair that I hadn't noticed was darker. This helped a lot - just a Sally Hansen Bleach Kit available anywhere.

- Neutrogena sunscreen with "Helioplex" prevented further darkening of the skin. Being an active mom in MT, staying out of the sun just wasn't an option!

- Microdermabrasion treatments to gently slough away old (and dark) skin. There are good at-home treatments, but my favorite exfoliator is plain old baking soda. Mix with water to form a paste, gently rub onto your skin in an upward pattern (avoid tugging & pulling skin downward) & rinse. Softest skin ever! Great for dry, summer skin as well.

- If all else fais, find an estetitian (sp?) in your area that also has a clinical background. I found a great lady that also was a nurse & had practiced in a Houston dermatologist's office. While very relaxing, her facial treatments were scientifically (sp?) based rather than simply enjoyable. She also suggested that once the sun's rays weren't so damaging (after summer) she had a treatment to try. But with the bleaching, Heliplex & baking soda I haven't needed to go back.

Hope that helps and you find some releif & lightening. If all else fails, a good estetician can kick-start a lightening for you.

If you have a Mary Kay consultant, they have a product that will take it away. I've seen a woman that had an ugly dark brown birth mark that totally went away. This product is $40.00.

1 / 3