Dark Circles - Santa Cruz,CA

Lately I've noticed that my one year old has dark circles under her eyes. At times her eyes look a little red too (the skin around it, not the eyeball itself). I asked my doctor about it and she said it could be allergies, but she would be a little young. I noticed today that she had a bit of a runny nose, but no other symptoms of a cold. Just curious about this. My daughter is pretty fair skinned, but the dark circles are completely new. I think she's sleeping enough (I actually plan to ask if she is sleeping too much on a separate post; 14.5 or so hours/day) so I don't think this is the issue. Any thoughts?

Dark circles can sometimes be a sign of food allergies. Try eliminating dairy, corn, and wheat to start and see if that makes a difference. There are also doctors and tests that can be tried.

L.,
two things, dark circles can indicate a sinus infection.
Also, the allergies can come at any time. I did not get them until my first pregnancy. My son has had them since he was 4 months old. They caused his asthma at that age.
We finally got him allergy tested at the age of 3 to see what meds would work for him.
W. M

There is a Children's Wellness Expo in Alameda, Ca. on Saturday Sept 12th at Encinal High School cafeteria from 10-1. There will be a panel of doctors educating how to keep our children and family healthy. One of the doctors is coming from Santa Cruz.

If you are interested in attending let me know and I will put you on the guest list.

Prevention is our medicine.

Have a great day.

N. Marie

My friend's daughter had the same issue. She switched to soy milk and it went away. I dont know if its just a coincidence but it couldnt hurt to try.

Your doctor is probably correct assuming that it is allergies. My first child suffered with allergies from a very young age. Please have your child checked and treated for the allergies so that it does not get worse. My son ended up with allergy asthma and the only thing that finally got him off of the nebulizer and inhalers was allergy immunotherapy shots that built his body's immunity to and tolerance for the many, many things for which he has allergic reactions. Good luck!

It's possible. I had someone tell me when my boy was about that age that his same eye symptoms mean't he was going to have allergies.

He is the only one of my children that does have allergies. One year was really bad- alot of rain that spring and a lot of tree pollen. (he's 8 now).

I've read that giving LOCAL bee-honey helps with allergies- I havent tried it yet. You can find local honey at farmer's mkts, the fair, sometimes wineries, ect...

Hi L.. I disagree with your dr. From what I've seen, 1 isn't too young to have allergies! My daughter gets circles when she's tired and also it runs in my hubby's side of the family. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Dark circles under the eyes are often genetic and doesn't indicate that anything is wrong. However, your baby is not too young for allergies. If you or husband have them, it is entirely possible. You might want to see another ped. Maybe this is too big an assumption based on too little info, but I can't help wondering if your ped is one of those who doesn't take children's pain or discomfort seriously. I hope I am being unfair.

About sleep, you are doing just fine. That is just about the right amount. Babies need tons of sleep. I highly recommend checking out Dr M Weissbluth's healthy sleep habits happy child.

Dear Lilia,

Had the same problem with my 1 yr old (now 3 1/2) I cut out our morning milk and did watered down apple juice. The circles and throat clearing and runny nose were gone in two days!!! He too was getting enough sleep and showed now signs of allergies. Our ped said that sometimes milk causes congestion and that causes the bruises around the sinuses causing dark circles. Try it, it can't hurt and if it doesn't change anything cut out all dairy. It is easier than giving her stuff. Good luck!!

My son also has dark circles under his eyes. He is now 2.5 but at about a year he had been diagnosed with allergies. His pediatrician recommended that I give him 1/2 teaspoon of zyrtec in the AM and PM, each day. I found this excessive and decided to only give it to him during the times when his allergies were bad. The good news is, it looks as though he has now outgrown them, for the most part.

1 / 3