Dance Class or Gymnastics?

Dance class or gymnastics for my 3-year old? How do I know which is best for her? She loves to dance around and she tumbles all over the house. I want to encourage this energy in a positive way, but how do I choose? HELP!!

Hi T.,

As a mother of two girls, I would suggest if it is possible let her try both. This way, you will know which one she likes better. Most places will allow you to do a free trial class. So, allow her to take a free class in both and see which one she likes best. My oldest liked dance in the beginning. However, after he first dance recital.. she was excited about her performance but did not want to continue. However, they both love gymnastics and cheerleading. Although, gymnastics and cheerleading is expensive, it is such a joy to watch them. I hope this helps!

take her to a class of each and ask her what she would like more. we did "nastics" with my then 3 year old she LOVED it!

Hi T.,

One thing you want to consider is the fact that unless the instructors at the gym are VERY well trained and experienced in working with young children, there is a high risk of injury for very young children in gymnastics. That would not be a problem with dance class. I think both classes are good for little kids but you really want to make sure the people working with your little one at the gym knows what they are doing. I have a friend who is a chiropractor and he has treated numerous kids who were hurt during gymnastics. Just something to consider.

I agree with the other mom, give each a try...I will say this, my girls were in gymnastics and had a wonderful time, it was a bit expensive, but I remember my mother paying quite a bit for my dance classes, outfits and so forth...let her try each one out and ask her. Three year olds can make decisions, although don't be surprised if she wants to do both!!! It also depends on what is most popular in your area...where we live, cheerleading is king so the dance classes tend to be more advised....hope this helps and enjoy!!! They are so cute to watch at that age!

I am not sure about your area, but in MO they have a class for youngsters that splits half the time in tumbling/gymnastics and the other half dance. Check around to see what is offered. The some YMCA's offer dance/tumbling

Check to see if you have a Little Gym in your area. They offer a split class that starts at 3. It is not over priced in our area and is a non-competitive facility.

I am just going to say what a lot of other mothers are already saying. Your daughter sounds a lot like mine did; loves to dance and tumble. After a few lessons, we realized she only loved to dance at home on her own and wasn't to thrilled about the dance lessons. Gymnastics on the other hand, she really enjoys it. My son on the other hand surprised us completely. He loved playing soccer and basketball so we put him in, he was okay with it. Out of the blue we were offered a free trial sessions at a martial arts academy and he loves it. The excitement he exhibits for taekwondo we were sure he would express for soccer or basketball. My point is let her try various things, you never know what she'll end up loving.

T., do you have the option of both? When I was younger I took a class that rotated between ballet and tap each week. The last 10-15 minutes if there was time, they worked on acrobatic skills, rolls, cartwheels, backbends, walkovers, working up the skills to eventually be able to do front and back handsprings. I started at 3 and at 8 if you could do a backbend down and up, you were eligible for the acrobatic class offered on Saturday afternoon. It had me going on 2 different days, and then 3 when I turned 11 and started jazz and pointe.

There are still some family run studios that offer things like this. Most corporations probably won't. I totally loved my time there and was sad when it ended. It lead me to accomplish things like dancing professionally for Chicago's Von Heidecke's Ballet Studio with the Nutcracker and cheerleading varsity through HS. I know things are expensive today, but hopefully you can find something to encourage both routes and she can pick when she gets a little older.

The Little Gym offers (or used to) a combo class where it was 15 minutes ballet and a half hour of gymnastics. A good starting point for little ones.

1 / 3