Dairy, Egg and Peanut Allergy

My son's first birthday is coming up and I wanted to get some kind of "sweet" for him to celebrate however, he cannot have dairy, eggs or peanuts at this point. Any suggestions?

My neice had the same problem and they made her a "banana cake" Just smashed some banana's up and made it look like a small cake. The baby had not had bananas yet so she thought it was a real treat

My grandson had the same allergies at a year old, but could eat doughnuts. Have you tried them yet? For some reason cooked egg and dairy did not bother him. Cake also wasn't a problem for him.

He has outgrown most of his egg and dairy allergies but will never outgrow the peanut allergy. We gave and still do give him egg whites. The yolks were what he was allergic to.

My son was also allergic to those items (well, mostly eggs and wheat) so for his first birthday I got a mix from our local health foods store (like Whole Foods or something) that was wheat-free and vegan. It turned out really good. In fact, some of the guests enjoyed it as well. And it was much easier than doing something from scratch. Also, Trader Joe's has their No-Pudge Brownies that you can make w/ apple sauce and it's pretty good. Congrats on making it thru your first year!

take care,
J. C

We have 2 kids with this issue. Some years i make two different cakes. ( my son also has wheat allergy). Actually, there are a lot of great recipes out there for dairy-less, egg-less (and nutless) cakes. you can substitute flax seedds/water for the egg for instance. Our favorite was an orange cake that used real orange juice. theres another one called two bowl cake under CakeCentral.com. This one is chocolate: (you can get nut-free cocoa powder from Vermont Chocolates on-line to make sure theres no cross contamination and i think also no milk if you get the dark chocolate). Anyway, the recipe is this: 3 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 5 Bbsl cocao powder, 2 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp salt, 2 cups cold water, 2/3 cup veg oil, 2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar (your key ingredient!) and 2 Tbsp vanilla. Oven at 350. Combine dry ingredients. Then add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Stir with fork; do not beat. Pour into ungreased 9X13 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
Enjoy! it's nice and moist and yummy. Otherwise, you know, start your own traditioin, you don't have to do cake. Best to you!

Check the web for vegan recipes. They are be definition dairy and egg free. I've got two one white and one chocolate, can't find right off, that make terrific cakes. Then you can just substitute some soy milk when making frosting.

Or call around for a vegan bakery.

I'd get him some sorbet. Trader Joe's carries lots of delicious flavors with no artificial stuff in them. You could even stick a birthday candle in a scoop to celebrate. Congrats on your little boy's first year!

You can find recipes online of course, but Cherrybrook Kitchens makes dairy-free, egg-free, peanut-free, nut-free cake mixes. They also make gluten-free ones too. My daughter's preschool uses them for kids' birthdays, and we decided to use it for her birthday since there were a few kids with allergies. They were actually pretty good for a mix. You can make it into cupcakes. They make frostings too. http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/

You can buy them at Whole Foods, although not every store has every kind.

Hi A.-

My son is allergic to all top 8 (actually 9 because he can't have sesame either:-( Ener G Egg Replacer is a great product that I use for baking. You can use a regular cake or brownie mix and then replace this with for the eggs. Applesauce with an added teaspoon of baking powder is also a good replacement for eggs in baking. For frosting, you can use rice, soy or oat milk (really whatever he drinks) with powdered sugar and vegetable shortening. The Whole Foods Allergy cookbook is my best resource:-)

Good Luck!!

I make all my cakes from a cookbook called "How It all Vegan." Though I'm not vegan (vegans eat no eggs or dairy or meat) I still find these the best cakes and easiest to make. I used to work in a restaurant where the dessert chef made only vegan desserts--all delicious. It is certainly possible to eat great treats that contain no eggs, dairy or peanuts.

One favorite is called "Six Minute Chocolate Cake" found here: http://www.recipezaar.com/133387

Happy birthday!

1 / 3