Dad's First Birthday Since He Passed Away

Today, Feb 9, would have been my dad's 67 birthday. This is the first one since he passed last year on March 17. He passed very unexpectedly of a heart attack. Today I thought I would be by myself, but school in closed, so obviously I have my two daughters home. My girls and I are getting through the day (my husband is at work), but we are all feeling quite sad. My dad loved his birthday. We are now living in a different state than where he is buried so we cannot go to the cemetery. I thought my girls and I would bake a birthday cake and sing Happy Birthday tonight to him. Is it good to do? Last year we had a surprise birthday party for him. We have a DVD we made for him. Should we all sit and watch it?

Thanks for any advise on this subject. I want to do the right thing for my girls, my husband and myself. We miss him so much.

Thank you all for your responses and understanding. Yesterday was tough on all of us. We made a cake and sang Happy Birthday to him. We sat and told each other our favorite memories of him. It made us laugh and cry, but we felt good at the end. It was good therapy for all of us. We did not watch the DVD. We talked about it, but none of us were ready to watch it yet. In time, I am sure we will. Again, thank you all so very much!

*HUGS*i know how you feel! its been 6 years friday that my dad passed and next month is his bday. its hard and since we moved i havent been able to goto his grave either. as far as the cake i do that every year on his birthday, except i have a pic we sing to :) my son never met his "papa" but he gets very excited to help make his cake and sing happy birthday!

Oh sweetie I feel for you so much. My own father passed when I was 4 years old. It has been 25 years now and we still think of him on special days. Do whatever you feel like. My aunt made me a special book with pictures of him and stories about these pictures. Maybe you could make a special album that you can look at whenever you are thinking of him.

Hi - I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're having a sad day - I know how it feels to pass that first milestone birthday and how hard it is to get through. I think your idea of baking a cake for your dad is just lovely - your girls are old enough to participate and understand the meaning behind it, plus, it will give you something to do together to help pass the time. I would ask them how they feel about watching the DVD, and prepare them for the fact that it might make you all even more emotional (nothing wrong in my mind with a little group cry! I cried almost every day for a year after each of my parents died). It's OK to talk about our loved ones who have died, and celebrate them in whatever way you see fit. I think what you're doing is perfect. Hugs to you and your family!

Hi P., I'm sorry about your Dad/Grandpa.

I think ALL your ideas are GREAT ones. In doing these things with your girls, you will be more celebrating his life and less mourning his death.

I also think he'd be very pleased to be celebrated in these ways.

You sound very healthy, and so your girls will be also!

The best to you all.

:)

Why not. If that is what you all feel like doing, then it is perfectly okay.

My Dad died, 10 years ago.
I sympathize with you.
My Dad was about that age too. When he died.

Hugs,
Susan

You need to do what's right for you. If that would make you feel loving, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. You could make it a Memory Day - perhaps instead of the birthday "making a wish", you can all "share a memory" and then blow out the candles together. Remember all the things about him that make you smile. You'll still be sad, but it'll be a sad surrounded by love. Hugs to you and your family!

Wow, my dad passed last Sept 2010 suddenly as well of a HA. He also had cancer and kidney failure, but he was doing well. And he was still quite young. I sympathize with you and think that is great. My dad's bday is coming up in May and we just might do the same thing. Thanks for the great ideas. I just read his memorial that I wrote in his honor last night. If you did something like that, perhaps you could read that as well. But focus on the good things and keep it upbeat and as happy as possible. That will make it more special.

my dad passed away unexpectedly from cancer when I was 18. my counselor told me to ALWAYS celebrate special holidays regarding him. I feel for you and know how hard he first year of anniversary's are. Thinking of you and your family today.

1 / 3