Cyst on Baby's Head

Hi there, I have a friend who's in a panic over her recent ultrasound. Apparently they found a cyst on the baby's head. She was told that most of the time, these cysts dissolve before birth and don't cause any problems, but of course the 'what if' monster is rearing its ugly head. So I was hoping to help her out and find some real life happy endings. Anybody out there have this happen and be willing to share?

When I was pregnant with my daughter I had the same outcome with my 20 week ultrasound. Of course the first thoughts that went through mine and my husband's heads were the worst. My doctor reassured us that these kind of cysts dissolve 95% of the time before the baby reachs the 8 month of gestation. We opt for a second ultrasound that wasn't until 9 weeks later. We dicided that whatever happans, happens for a reason. With the second ultrasound the tech didn't find anything. Hopefully all works out for your friend. Things like this can be scary, but they can be worked around.

-C.

I have a nephew who was born with a bump on the very top of his head, and it had a very dark red center to it. People asked about it all the time and there was no answer to it.
He outgrew it, is 29, very intelligent, the best sense of humor, absolutely NO effects from it.
I don't know if this is the same thing, but just thought I'd share it.
Your friend has to maintain control of herself. If she freaks out, it'll affect the baby. If she freaks out when people ask her about any visible 'differences', it'll affect the baby. It takes a strong person to just say it'll grow away. The baby's fine; just one of those things". She needs to have a little faith. It'll still be her baby and she'll love it.

Hello, I took my niece to her doctor's appt, she's only 14 years old. She missed 2 of her appt already bieing 22 weeks. The Doctor been trying to get in touch with her for the longest, I gave them my number. They found 2 cyst on the babies head. Right now she don't know what to do, being that she's only 14. Please help me. Her doctor said sometimes the baby grows out it. Is there any other size affects that we should know. I'm so scared for my niece. I know one thing I will be there for her through thick & thin for what ever decision she makes. She only have one more week to decide. Somebody help me please!!!

Have your friend check out this website:

http://www.choroidplexuscyst.org/

I was in a panic with my beautiful son for several weeks because of this same thing. I looked it up online and drove myself crazy with worry, it went away and wasn't on the next u/s and he is a wonderful little boy. Good luck and prayers for your friend that her u/s is clear also.

I had this with my first born, very scarry, but he was fine. Ultrasounds cannot always detect everything and the things they do detect often amount to nothing when the child is born. Have your friend go to this website:
http://www.birth.com.au/Info.asp?class=6610&page=6. Then tell her to never look this up on the internet again. It can be scarry.

When my son who is 21 months old was born he had a extra larger soft spot. When he was only 2 days old they sent him for a ultrasound on his head. Come to find out he had cyst on the top of his head and that is why his soft spot was so much bigger. His doctor sent him to a specialist. The specialist told us that babies usually do have them in the womb until like the 8th month. Usually they disapear but more and more babies r born with them only because the technology now days picks them up better. He said that babies have been born with these cyst for years and it is just now being noticed. Some babies get rid of them in the womb some take longer. We had to pay special extra attention because of the soft spot being so big. Also the doctor really monitored his head size every visit just to make sure nothing more was goin on. He is a very healthy 21 month old and the cyst r gone. His soft spot is even closed up just like normal. So as to find out yeah there might be something wrong with ur baby .... but in the end u still luv them the same.

They 'discovered' the same thing on my daughter before she was born.
Turns out, wasn't a cyst -- she actually has a strawberry hemangeomma on her head... has started to go away -- supposed to be gone completely by the time she is 5.... we haven't had any problems or issues... completely fine and normal.
Tell your friend not ot worry -- much easier said than done... but just enjoy these moments before that little one comes roaring into the world.

1 / 3