Cycle Changes After a Miscarriage?

I had a miscarriage the last week of April, with a D&C the first week of May. Since my miscarriage, I have had one normal cycle. Now, I have had cramping, breast tenderness, and have been very emotional for the last 3 weeks. I have never had any problems before my period, so this is very different for me. I also thought it could be pregnancy but have had 2 negative tests. Has anyone had a similar situation with your cycles completely changing after a miscarriage? I guess I'm just worried about any problems that may be now because of my D&C and wondering if I should see a doctor. Thanks for your thoughts.

I went to the doctor and they said everything is ok. Gave me some medicine to help get everything going and am going on pill very soon. That should help, they said. Thanks for all of your advice and sharing your experiences. It helped to know others have dealt with the same problems!

I was just wondering that myself this month. I had an early miscarriage last month, and now this month I'm three days late again, had unusual pain and cramping again (not so bad as the actual miscarriage though) and weird bleeding. I didn't want to run to the doctor right away, I was going to wait to see if next month is better. I wonder if this is more normal than I thought...

I had a miscarriage and D&C a few years ago, and it took months and medicine (can't remember the name, the med that causes ovulation) to sort of kick start my body into returning to normal. It's like it still thought I was pregnant with various pregnancy symptoms.... And because we were devastated by the loss, it didn't help that I kept thinking I was pregnant again.

I started tracking my basal body temperature and discovered I wasn't really ovulating despite a few weird periods (thus the meds). About 13 months later, I finally got pregnant again (naturally, no meds that month), and this time it "stuck." My 22 month old boy is the happy ending!

I know how hard losing a baby is--sometimes I think my body going a little haywire just mimicked my emotions--and it wasn't until I had dealt with the miscarriage completely emotionally that my body was able to handle another pregnancy.

That's just me though--good luck to you!

I was at about 8 weeks when I m/c in May of 2006. It wasn't until Oct 2006 that I finally had a period and that was with meds from the doc and only very light. Turns out I have PCOS and now take Metformin and I've been having cycles ever since Jan 2007.
You may just need some more time, but if it were me, I would check with the doc, especially if you are wanting to try again.
I was checking in with my doc every so often because he said to wait 3 cycles before trying again and I never got them.
It could just be your hormones are out of wack and you might need a "jump start" (I think that is typically a round of progesterone pills - at least that's what my doc does).

Best wishes to you and I hope you get things figured out.
Hugs!

So Sorry about your loss. It is terribly horrible when this happens. I've experienced similar symptoms after my misscarriages. I think part of it has to do that you desperatrely would like it to be pregnancy and part of it is that your body is still alittle messed up and with the hormone spikes of our cycles our bodies forget that it's not pregnant.

I lost my last baby in Feb and since then twice I had the same symptoms that you have had. I didn't have a D&C for either of my miscarriages, so I'm not sure if you have more need to worry because of that or not.

I'd give yourself a little time to get sorted, but if it gets too painful or out of control then I'd talk to your Dr.

Good Luck.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I had a miscarriage (pregnancy #3, after 2 healthy boys) in May 2006. (I did NOT have to have a D&C.) My period had always been very regular, but ever since, it's been erratic. I've started many months after only about 21 days! I think I've gone one full 28 day cycle only one time in the past 2 years. I'd always had problems with cramping (not every month, but every few months) so I haven't noticed anything different there, BUT I do have a lot of breast tenderness that I never had before.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your child. I lossed my own little angel in October of 05 so I understand how difficult it can be. After my D&C my period took a little bit to regulate. I think it's your body's way of giving you time to grieve. I did concieve and carry a healthy baby boy about three months after my loss. Take time to heal. The have some great memorial jewlery online that you can order. To help you have your little one close to your heart. Good luck, Sorry again for your loss.

I am sorry for your loss. I lost a baby at 5 months and I to suffered a miscarriage after 3 healthy children.I had a D&c and also and had some cramping and was very emotional.My cycle did return back to normal and I got pregnant shortly after and now I have my 4th child. I know times like that are very difficult but they do pass you will never forget what you lost but joy can return to your life.I wish you all the best of luck and if you still are having abnormal cycles you should talk to your doctor expecially if you want to concieve again.Best wishes to you Take Care of yourself! J.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage and d&c in the beginning of January. I had the same worry with my cycles afterwards. They seemed normal at first, and got longer and longer every month. (prior to the miscarriage I had regular 28 day cycles) and last month I had a 47 day cycle. I was worried that there might be problems from the d&c, but after doing research found out it is pretty common.

your estrogen and progesterone do not return to baseline right away, it could take some time to return to normal. Maybe there's something emotional or spiritual you need to process as well to move forward in your life. I am sorry for your loss.

1 / 3