Cute Handcrafted Gifts Especially for Little Boys

I crochet,sew,so some beading..For example I crochet beads around the tops of baby girls socks to dress them up..For girls a little older I make them bracelets..Is there some cute easily/quickly made ideas out there for baby boys and older..say up to 5 or so.

So far I have recieved 3 responses and am thankful to all. Good ideas. Thanks so much I am so excited..now I have 11 responses and that is wonderful. I won't update this every day but want each of you to know how much I appreciate the help. God Bless You All. M.

I was thinking that it might be fun to make boys bandanas that they could wear to play cowboys. You could even put beads on them. If they have cowboy hats, you could make a matching band to go around the hat.

Any baby loves tags. We like the little fleece blankets; here is an example: http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/fabulous-fleece.asp#blanket

Also, you can make little bean bags filled with beans, or jingle bells. I've also seen people sew together two pieces of fabric and fill it with plastic grocery bags. Babies love to make noise with it.

YOu could try making cloth books incorporating your sewing and beading. Have you seen those books that teach children how to do up zippers, buttons, etc. You can also make a counting book, an alphabet book, etc all with fabric and different notions. Obviously with toys you have to be careful with the beading you do so they aren't a chocking hazard. I was actually looking online recently for some ideas and came across some great plans for sewn activity books. If you google "cloth activity book" you should get some good results.
Slippers are always a welcome gift during the winter months in MN. You can sew fabric on to the slippers to make them look like different animals...dinosaurs, puppies, pigs, bunnies, etc. Also wall hanging growth charts are nice, draw measurements to the side then you can put pretty much any type of design, beading, sewing etc to decorate it up.
K. H.

I made "I SPY" mini quilts for my daughters and my mom made one for my nephew. They are great in the car as you can ask them to "find" something on it or have them tell you what they can find. I used about 30 different pieces of fabric with different things on it, just machine stitched it together and tied it instead of hand quilting.
I also made my girls capes with their initials on it - you could get very creative-so they could be superheros!
For girls, a cute idea is to use an old pair of jeans (I checked garage sales and Goodwill) and cut them off to make a little purse. Beading, iron ons or painting designs on it to match the lining fabric really makes a cute gift. My girls love theirs. Easy and I'm not a big sewing fanatic.
My head is very full of crafting ideas - just wish I had more time! (and sometimes more sewing talent)!

What GREAT ideas from people!!

I work with a local group of crafters and this is a hard one for us too. Boys are often forgotten when it comes to cute handmade things.

I like the towel idea. My son likes to pretend he's a Prince after he's out of the bath and I have to put the towel on him like a royal robe. I think one with a hood that had a crown sewn on it and a button so I didn't have to use my hair clip (!!) would be loved by him. (and me)

Crocheted stuffed toys are cute. I've seen spiders, aliens, and dragons on-line. I'm sure I could google it and find the dragon patterns again. People are online are very willing to share patterns for non-money making ventures. I've also seen cute hats out of polar fleece that looked easy to sew.

Yarn companies often have free patterns on their websites, like Lion Brand, http://www.lionbrandyarn.com/
Patons, http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PG=baby
Bernat, http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php

I have these places bookmarked because I just love the clever ideas, and they're FREE!

It would have been my mother's birthday yesterday and she was a grandma to 13 and a great grandma to three before she died 5 years ago. She was always making stuff for us and the grandkids and we just loved it and it's very treasured now. Whatever you make them, I'm sure it will be well loved and treasured.

I was just at a baby shower and the Mom-to-be received little onesies with animals "stamped" on there. They were very cute and received lots of "oohs" & "aahs" by all the guests! =)

Another idea is to make a "taggies" blanket. My 9 month old twin daughters really like theirs!

Hi I am a grandma also and I am always looking for bibs. Both for babys and toddlers I like the ones that go right over the head like a t-shirt then you don,t have to tie them.
Since you sew that might be good and burp cloths for babys. My most favorite bib is the ones made on finger tip towels,with the ribbing for the neck. Those towels you can get already
decorated. or you can decorate them your self.

Stuffed animals are always good for little boys. I have made my son crocheted stuffed animals and he loves them. I've also made some for my daughter. You can choose any color you want. Go to: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/index.php
They have tons of free crochet patterns you can pick from. Most of them have pictures so you can see what the finished product will look like.

Actually, I am running into the same problem. I have made things for my nieces but never really anything for my nephews. And last christmas, they got so excited and told their mom "Auntie is making something for all us kids for christmas!" but my husband had already bought them things so I didn't make anything. However, I was thinking of little play sets. Like a Policeman badge and cap, or a fireman badge and a smaller version of the cap. My nephew is turning 6, so hopefully it would be good. Maybe that will be good for your little boys?

1 / 3