Curious About Odor from Ear --- Ear Infection??

I've noticed for the past 2 days, my 2 1/2 yr old daughter has an odor. It appears that it is coming from her ear. She was diagnosed with an ear infection about 2 weeks ago, and was put on an antibiotic which we have now finished. She has complained that her ear still hurts. But I've NEVER noticed any odor before.... or heard of such a thing!
Tonight, I gave her a good bath and washer her hair (as I do EVERY night) then used a Q-tip with a bit of peroxide on it when I cleaned her ears. Guess we'll see if that does anything??
Does anyone have any suggestions or comments !?!?

Hey Everyone -- thanks to everyone's advice .... I called the Doctor on-call today. After explaining the situation, and the fact that she spiked a 103 temp today, he suggested taking her to the ER. Good Thing! She has a full blown ear infection. Very red and puss. ( hence the odor. puss = odor)
New round of antibiotics!! Thanks for the advice everyone -- good thing I didn't hold off til Monday for regular Doctor hours !!!

HI, I would take her back to the doctor. My friend's son had the "smelly" ear problem and it was actually a yeast infection in his ear and it was the yeast that was causing the odor. Good luck.

Yes, it is from an ear infection. She should be on some type of medication and ear drops. I always knew when one of my children was starting to have an ear problem because of the odor.

Her ear is still infected. Please take her back to the Dr. ASAP! I had the same problem when I was younger.(Ear infection, finished a round of antibiotics, had a funny smell in my ears.) The infection moved into my ear drum, causing it to rupture.
The pain was the worse I have ever felt. It was like someone stabbing an ice pick in my ear.There are no words that can really describe how intense the pain was.
The ruptured ear drum has had lifelong consequences. My ear is all messed up and has cost me thousands in medical bills due to the vertigo it caused and the loss of hearing. Also I was unable to join the Air Force @ 18 because of the scarring and loss of balance. (A dream of mine when I was younger was to join.)
Also- Never ever put a q-tip in the ears. All it does is push the ear wax or infection back down into the ear canal. You can take a bulb syringe and gently wash her ears out w/ a peroxide solution. They also sell special cleaners @ the drug store, but I wouldn't clean her ears out until the infection clears up.
There are several tricks you can do for the pain. A drop of sweet oil works or a warm washcloth pressed up against the ear will help as well. Good luck and I hope the little one gets better soon.

She probably still has the ear infection or it came back, which is very typical. Something else you may want before you would go back to the doctor, is a natural ear infection remedy called Mullein oil, you can get it at North Star Vitamin Shoppe. It helped me!

Just a thought...is it possible that there is something lodged in her ear. Perhaps she stuck something in there. The only reason I ask is that when I was a preschool teacher there was a child in my class who had a horrible odor. His mother was beside herself as to what to do. It was after a series of doctor's visits that they thought they found a growth in the child's nasal cavity. They did a surgery to remove it only to find that it wasn't a growth...it was a folded up little piece of cardboard that the child had pushed really far up into his nose. It was growing all kinds of things on it and once it was removed, so was the child's odor. Nonetheless, I'd definitely take her back to the doctor to check things out.

More than likely it's an infection. My cousin is a hearing specialist & she let me know that when an ear is infected it does smell.

Call the doctor. The infection probably is not gone, the antibiotic may not have worked. Different medicines work on different bugs. I have a son who is 17 years old and has had ear infections his whole life, including two sets of tubes and major ear surgery last year. Don't let it go, especially since your daughter says it still hurts. I'll be thinking of you.

Hi L., My advice is take her back to the Dr. I have 6 grandchildren, and 3 of them has had to get tubes in their ears. She still has ear infection, does she get ear infections very often? If so you should speak to your Dr. about tubes. They make such a difference, My grand daughter just turned two in Jan. she's had tubes for at least 8 months, and when she starts getting ear infection, instead of the infection getting down in her ears, the tubes push it out. they really are a blessing. We have a great ears, throat, and nose specialist. Just let me know if you need one. He's awsome. Good luck.

My daughter had the same thing. The odor was still an infection and she had a hole in her ear drum. You will have to do more antibiotics and be rechecked after you are done with them. Good luck it takes about a week or two but she will be fine

did you check to make sure she didn't stick anything up her ear when my son was about that age he had a cold and hen his nose ran alot and he started smelling really bad. especially his nose. Well go reallt worried took him to ER and found out he'd stuck an earplug clear up his nose. it smelled because the earplug absorbed stuff, just a thought lol hope all goes well.

1 / 3