Cub Scouts or Karate for My 7 Yr Old Son?

Hi Moms,
My 7 year old son is wanting to do karate at his school two days a week from 330-430 OR cub scouting and I'm wondering which would be the best option? I would love to have your opinion. I think that he is leading more towards karate but, the more research I do I think that scouting might be better for him. I think this would be a great way for him to make friends and build character and confidence amongst other things. My husband works ALOT so he would probably never be able to take him and I also have a 2 year old that would always be with us at events as well. So what do you guys think?????

Thank you!

karate.
but then, i fully admit to having a case of the _ss against BSA for their unacceptably homophobic stance.
khairete

I personally suggest the scouting. My son joined as a tiger and followed through to earn his Eagle. It taught him a lot and they are family oriented.

Which would your son choose?

both of my sons went thru scouts. My older one quit as a teenager. My younger son (age 14) is very active & is planning on becoming a camp counselor either next summer .....or the following. It all depends on how much he accomplishes toward Eagle Scout.

& that brings me to my next comment: with scouts, it truly does make a difference - in the long run - when it comes to college applications/placemnt & on job applications. Our troop is very active, very dedicated to keeping these boys on the move. In the past 8 months, they've .....not only camped regularly.....but have hiked more than 250 miles! (all in preparation of merit badges)

They also spend time working on community service projects....which helps teach them to serve others. The merit badges also allows for personal growth & development. The choices are broad in range & idea, & can be quite challenging - both physically & mentally.

In Cub Scouts, you will need to participate - to some extent....& with 9 yrs btwn our sons, I always had my younger son to haul around. He was welcomed & not the only baby there. Once you bridge to Boy Scouts (about 6th grade??), then it's leaders & scouts....with an occasional parent assist needed.

All in all, this has been quite a beneficial life choice for both of my sons. Scouts offers endless possiblities for positive growth & a chance to really connect with the outdoors ...& to learn life skills which could easily be lost in today's modern world. .....gee whiz, until I read this question, I hadn't realized how absolutely positive this experience has been for my family. Thank you!

karate.
khairete

My brother was a nationally ranked competitor in karate as a child. He made friends, learned self-discipline, gained confidence, had fun... all that good stuff.
Cub scouts provides a greater variety of experiences, but not the opportunity for that type of dedication to one single craft.
Both are great things. I would suggest asking yourself (or him) these questions:

1. Why does he like these two activities? Is one more about someone else doing it and the other more about him following his own interests?

2. Is he someone who enjoys working hard at a task by himself? If not, then scouts might be a better starting place the karate because it is all organized group activities and karate is a lot more about self-discipline. BS also teaches discipline, but as far as having enough to stick with it, it's a good question to ask.

3. Is he a competitive individual or does he more enjoy socializing through team work?

4. What does he get more excited about? What do YOU get more excited about (since you'll have to, at times, force him to go to either one).

5. If your husband is not around to participate, how will he react to the father-son aspects of BS (F/S camping trips, and more traditional things like building a soap box derby car -- can you help him with things like that? I mean, do you want to?)

6. BS requires you to participate in many activities. Do you want that or would you rather watch from the sidelines?

Either experience will be great, I'm sure. It's hard to pick! Good luck and have fun.

Scouting is wonderful but so is karate. Scouting is a wonderful thing that many fathers/sons do together and mom can't do with him. They do lots of camping events with the dad needing to be with them too. Karate is great (we recommend the ITA organization) and our children have done this for years. He can do this independently and meets friends at the same time in class. There are tournaments that the family can go to in town and out of town for fun, vacation and a little competition. It wouldn't be so obvious that dad wasn't around. It will help to build his confidence also and the self-defense skills are always a bonus!

I have not read any of the responses, but my brother did Cub Scouts when he was a kid and had a great time with his friends. Our dad worked long hours during the week so it was usually up to our mom to get him to meetings but Dad was available on the weekends and participating in anything that was on a weekend. They got really caught up in doing the Pinewood Derby every year and my brother was the district champ 2 years in a row (our dad was an engineer for Ford, so you can just imagine...)

My only thought is that you probably need to start Cub Scouts now, if he is going to do it, because of the age he is currently. Karate can always start later, even if it is next year. Or is there a way he can do both? Or would that be too much?

Our grandson took martial arts at 4 at his request and loved it. He will definitely gain confidence and character if it is a well run program as well as meet other children. What does he really want to do and what will be easiest for you? They are both win-win.

It depends on what is available for karate schools and cub scout packs in your area. The scouting groups in the area we live in right now are rabid about fund raising activities. I had a pack leader call me up asking if my son would be interested in joining his group, but the minute I told him we had no one to sell anything to, he couldn't hang up on me fast enough. It might just be me, but if that's their major means for determining membership, we are not interested. Keep in mind not all packs are like this. They can vary quite a bit, so do your research and see what would be a good fit.
My son's a 1st Dan level black belt in Taekwondo and he really enjoys the classes and tournaments. He's at a level where he is now helping to teach some classes (he's 11 yrs old) and I think it's helping him learn some good leadership skills as well as getting exercise and learning self defense.

1 / 3