Crust Eyes

My 20 month old has puffy crusty, draining eyes. The skin is red, I think it is irritated from the draining. The whites are not affected, they look perfectly normal. He has had a cold for 5 days now. My daughter went through this 2 days ago, but the crusting didn't last as long with her. Any ideas on what this could be?

Thank you all for your input. The morning after I made this post, he woke up and had half as much as the morning before. So, I decided to wait and the next day it was completely gone. I took someone's advice and put a vaporizor in his room. I don't know if that helped or if it had just run it's course (probably a little of both). He is doing great now, almost completely done with the runny nose too. Thanks again.

I had a similar situation not too long ago ... the whites of my 20 month old daughter's eyes were pink and the dr's office said that if any kind of discharge started coming out of her eyes that it could be an infection from another part of the body manifesting out of the eyes; typically an ear infection. This is something you should probably call the doc about. Good luck!

Sounds like an infection of the eye lids. I have that right now and my eye doctor recommended using a hot washcloth on them for about 2 min (2x per day for 2 weeks), then scrubbing the lids with baby tearless shampoo, and then using fake tears drops. After the 2 weeks, do it only once a day and then as needed.

Mine is much milder so you should probably get in to see if you need an antibiotic as well.

Hello K., Sounds like pink eye to me. It is very contagious. Get him into the doc. Good luck and happy holidays.

If the white aren't affected, I'm GUESSING it's not pink eye, but I'm not a doctor! I would just do warm compresses, but use a paper towel and throw it out each time, then you aren't spreading it from eye to eye. Also, if you take your pinky finger and rub in a circular motion between their eye and nose, that will help it if it's plugged. Try and do that a couple times an hour. I used to do it for a few seconds every 10 minutes with my son...but he had this for almost 6 months. It really helped and I found the more I did it, the less gunk would produce. I don't know if you know this or not, but their eyes are connect to their nose throw a drainage "pipe" and when a child has a cold it will often spread to the eyes, mostely because they can't cough or blow stuff out. I would also run a humidifier in the child's room, to try and make is moist to help relieve some pressure. Good luck and if it gets worse, I would go to the doctor, they do have eye drops for little babies.

Hi K., my son had the same thing when he had a lot of drainage from a cold which drained a little into his ears and he got an ear infection and then there was so much goop it was coming out of his eyes too! I'd take him to the Dr. just to have his ears and sinus checked out too. They're all connected and when they are that little the tubes are also little and everything doesn't drain as well as an adult.

If you don't think its pink eye and the whites of the eyes are not affected then it is probibly just excess drainage from the cold. Your tear ducts are also connected to your sinus cavity and things can back up into it if there is enough of it.

I use my one finger with a tissue over it and rub in the corner of the eye (like you would on yourself to get a sleepy bug out) Do that several times a day to help loosen up and work out the stuff that is in there.
I also usually give the kiddos a dose of decongestant (If they are coughing) when they sleep and prop them up with pillows so the excess snot drains into the stomach and not the back of the throat.
If at any time you doubt its just a cold then going to a dr never hurt...

My daughter had really puffy eyes w/discharge, along w/having a cold (well actually strep throat). Anyways, the doctor said that she had pink eye, and she could have gotten it from something simple as wiping her nose w/her hand and then touching her eye. It may not be but I thought i would throw that out there. As I am sure you know, pink eye is extremely contagious...could be why one had and gave it to the other?!? Good luck!

K.; usually crusty eyes are due the sinus' usually its a sinus infection with the cold, the cold affects the sinus' sometimes it will close their little eyes shut, just put a warm rag on it and wipe it off gently , it will go away , if she dont get over cold soon, i would go to a dr, just to make sure, if needed, any way , enjoy life and have fun, D. s

1 / 3