Crock Pot Recipes for Mom on Bed Rest

Hi ladies,
I am on bed rest (34 weeks - almost there!!). My doctor has given me permission to do a little bit of cooking but I really need to minimize the time I spend standing/sitting. Does anyone have any tasty but simple crock pot recipes that would fit the bill?
Cyndi

Thanks so much for all of your responses and recipes! Unfortunately I had my doctor's appointment today (the day after my request) and I got put back on full bed rest because the stitch in my cervix tore ... so no cooking for me. I will save all of your ideas and try them after the baby comes. Thanks again!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ that's a great blog I followed for a while. big variety, some simple in there too ! good luck!

I would google or get a crock pot recipe book. There are so many things you can do. BBQ is a good one. Soup, stew, chili, etc Google 'crock pot recipes' or go to Kraftfoods.com or go to foodnetwork.com and you will find many! Hope you feel better soon.

Hi, C.!
First, congratulations on your soon to be newest arrival!
My favorite crock pot dinner is a Roast with vegetables.

I take a chuck roast, and dredge it in flour that has been seasoned with coarse salt and fresh pepper and brown it on all sides (preferably in a cast iron pan) then I put it in the crockpot with some minced garlic and parsley and about a cup to a cup and a half beef broth. Save the leftover flour.
Set it on high. After about 3 1/2 to 4 hours, add 2 small or 1 large bag of frozen stew vegetables, adding some cut potatoes if they are not already included with the frozen veggies and dinner will be ready an hour later.
OR you can not add vegetables and just side it with a can of
Hanovers green beans and potatoes.
In any event, once all meat/ meat vegetables are removed from the crockpot, You can add some of the reserved flour a little add a time into the drippings in the crockpot with a wire whisk to make gravy. For each set you are on your feet, mere minutes and will have a fulfilling dinner!

Sound different, but good:
Sweet and Sour Chicken crockpot

8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1-8 oz. bottle Catalina salad dressing
1 envelope dry mix onion soup
10 oz jar apricot preserves

Place chicken breasts in your slow cooker. Pour remaining ingredients on top of chicken. No need to mix. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low.
Makes 6 to 8 servings

Balsamic Chicken

Layer the following ingredients in your crock pot in this order.
1 package bone-in chicken thighs, de-skinned
1/2 sliced yellow onion
salt
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 can mushroom pieces
4 diced potatoes
1 jar mild banana peppers, drained
1/2 bag frozen peas
the other 1/2 of the sliced yellow onion
salt to taste
italian seasoning to taste

Then pour 3/4 of a bottle of Newman's Own Lighten Up Balsamic Vinagrette Dressing over all.
Cook on low for 8 hours.

Slow-Cooker Lasagna
Linda Nichols, Steubenville, Ohio
No-cook noodles speed up prep time.
12 lasagna noodles, uncooked, divided
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
1 (28-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup water
1 (16-ounce) container cottage cheese, divided
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
Grease bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker. Break noodles in half. Place half the noodles in bottom of prepared slow cooker.
Stir Italian seasoning into browned ground beef and spread half over the noodles in the slow cooker.
Combine spaghetti sauce and water. Layer half over the meat. Then layer half the cottage cheese and half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. Do not cook over 5 hours!
Servings: Serves 4.

Best of luck!

16 Bean soups are wonderful with or without meat, use which ever beans you like and add a package or two of soup mix to make it tastier. (cream of mushroom or broccoli) Not sure of how many you are feeding but you can add rice, green vegetables and or potatoes for another day. I make lentil soup and spinach. Vary the vegetables to keep it interesting.

I just read one that I want to try. Take chicken pieces and put in pot, mix 2 jars of apricot jam, 12 ounces each, and a pack of lipton onion soup together and pour over chicken. Cook till tender. Serve over rice.
Make baked beans in the crock pot, adding molasses, br sugar, ketchup, mustard,onion chopped, and bacon pieces. Let cook till they smell wonderful. Slice a kielbasa or hot dogs. Add to beans.
Saurkraut in the pot, add some br sugar,put in a piece of pork, cook till prk is falling apart.

There is a great book called ''Fix it and Forget'. It has tons of good, easy crockpot recipes! There is even a light version if you prefer!
Wishing you a safe and healthy remainder of you pregnancy!!

This one is for mexican chicken, easy, tasty, low sodium and easy on the budget. You need 1 bag of frozen corn, 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed,(I think kidney beans will work also), 2 large boneless,skinless chicken breast,1 jar of salsa (24 ounces). Spray the crock lightly with non-stick spray, pour in layers, corn,beans,chicken and pour salsa on top. Cook on high for 4-5 hours. Take chicken out when fully cooked and shred. Mix the shredded chicken back in. Serve with tortilla chips. We also just use it as filling in soft tortillas.

I also buy a large package of ground meat, cook it in the crock pot with chopped onion, or onion powder or minced onion. Drain, cool and pack in freezer bags or containers in 1 pound units. When you are ready to cook a few minutes in the microwave will thaw it out then you can have it for taco meat by adding taco seasoning, sloppy joes, casseroles, whatever you usually use gr. meat in. God Bless

Southwestern Chicken

Jar Salsa
Can Black Beans
1-2 cups frozen corn
Chicken Breasts
Rice (optional)

I think I cook it on low for 3-4 hours, but it depends on your cooker.

1 / 3