Crock Pot - Forgot to Turn It On!!

SO - this a.m. I prepped my dinner (beef roast with a Fronterna sauce for pulled beef tacos) and put it in the crockpot at about 10:00 a.m. Then I left the house to go to a meeting, and came home at 12:00... and thought - that's weird I should be able to smell my beef by now - so I went to check it and I forgot to turn it on!

My question - am I going to give my family food poisoning if I turn it to high for the next 5 hours and cook it to serve for dinner? It will get done completely, and be fully cooked/heated to temp...

I hate to throw away a $10 roast.. but don't want anyone to get sick.

My husband said "I don't know!" when I called to ask what he thought.

What do you think?

Thanks for the reassurance... I think we'll eat it. I did brown the outside... but I'm sure it will be fine... I'll let you know tomorrow (LOL!).

It will be fully cooked, and it was fresh to start (not old or anything) so I think I agree with the last post who reminded me that the inside doesn't have bacteria - and I browned the outside and it's got the marinade on it so it should be fine.

***It was over 180 degrees at 5:00 - I think we'll be fine! :)

This meat was soaking so it the same as marinating it. If I were you I would put it in oven instead and it would cook faster.
It will be just fine.

OMG...these folks below who are telling you to throw out a perfectly good roast are making me LOL!

The meat is just FINE. I'll bet it's still chilled in the center anyway. Bacteria cannot survive high temperatures...and there IS NO bacteria in the middle of your meat because it hasn't been cut. Cook it and enjoy.

Don't worry a bit. Just break out the thermometer and check it before you serve. You have nothing to worry about.

I would cook it and enjoy. Put it in the oven or put a cloth dish cloth over the glass lid of your crock pot to increase the temp so it won't take so long to cook.

I can't believe so many people are telling you to throw it away. What a foolish waste of money AND food. I've eaten meat I accidently put in the oven for six hours before I figured out I hadn't turned it on and didn't suffer any food posioning or other intestinal problems. I didn't eat it that night because there wasn't time. I let it cook low and slow over night.

Good luck to you and yours.

I think two hours out is going to be fine. Actually, when you cook meat you are supposed to bring it to room temp, anyway. Turns out better.

It will be just fine.

It will be fine and I bet it's delicious!

The only problem with cooking it faster is the meat isn't as tender. Other than that it is up to temp everything that needs to be killed has been killed.

This is probably wrong, but I would probably still cook it...was it frozen when you put it in? Is it still cold? And was it only 2 hours? I know that's probably longer than what you SHOULD do, but like you said, $10 pot roast! OUCH!

That is a tough one to do, but (again, totally against food rules) I leave meat out on the counter to thaw regularly and we never get sick! So...up to you...sounds yummy if it turns out...let us know what you decide to do!

I think it'll be fine, mama! Go ahead and make it!

1 / 3