Creative Ideas for First Day of Kindergarten

Hi All,
I am looking for any advice, suggestions or ideas on how to make the first day of kindergarten as exciting and wonderful as possible. I am looking for ideas to celebrate this special occasion. Thanks for any ideas:-)

There's a great book, "Miss Bindergarten gets ready for Kindergarten". I read it to my kids for weeks before starting kindergarten, and I think it made preparing for and anticipating the big day great. Have fun!

Hi S. It my son first time going to kindergarten also. I am going to take as many pictures as I can. One thing I have been doing is making the first day as big of a deal as I can with my son. Telling him how now this makes him a offical "big kid".
I plan on having his favorite snack ready after school on the first day and letting him pick what we're having for dinner. Now that I think about I think I'm going to have some of the famliy come over for a "big kid" party. Just a small get together maybe some balloons and a few little gifts, some cupcakes. Make it as special as a holiday. Think are kids will love it. It will be a day they will remember for a long time. Let me know how it goes :)
N.

The first day of Kindergarten is so special!! You're right to conmemorate it. Here are some ideas:
1. You could buy your child a special new outfit for the first day.
2. Plan a special first-day-of-school breakfast.
3. Pack a special something in your child's backpack, either a photo of the two of you or a special stuffed animal, and say that whenever he/she thinks of you or misses you to look at the item and to know you will also be thinking of him/her.
4. Take a picture at the bus stop. We have a picture of my son just stepping up onto the bus for Kindergarten and I still have it at my desk (he's going into 4th grade this year).

Have fun! Prepare to get a little emotional. :-)

My son is also starting Kindergarten this year. We went (just the 2 of us) to Target and I let him pick out a new backpack, a new lunch bag, new thermos and new crayons and markers, just for Kindergarten. We talked about our shopping trip for a few days first, to get him excited, and he knew it would be special b/c we were going without his little brother. My son's first day is only a half day, but if your child has a full day you can make him a special lunch, maybe use a cookie cutter for the sandwich. This is an exciting time! Best Wishes!!

My twins start on Thursday, but the moms have to stay..there's some kind of mom get-togetehr or something...anyway...I thought I'd let them pick a restaurant for lunch (they go half-day) and then on Friday, when they take the bus, etc., that I'd bake some chocolate chip cookies for them to have a special treat when they got home. I'm also planning on taking pictures when they get on the bus. I'm sure the bus driver will just love that. :^)

Make a countdown chart (like an advent calendar), have a special "go buy a backpack day", let them decide what to wear the first day, take pictures!! Put a note inside snack (just a big hand drawn heart will do at this point!), plan a special icecream after school..

I let my son pick out the menu for the first day of school. He decides breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Hi there!
When my oldest daughter went to K we baked a cake the day before and decorated it together and the idea was to give her something to look forward to at the end of a long day-I told her to think about that cake whenever she got nervous or anxious during her first day.When the day was over we celebrated with cake and ice-cream and talked about the first day.She is now going into 2nd grade and we have kept up the tradition.

1 / 3