Cream/treatment for Thumb-sucker

My 23-month-old daughter has been a thumb-sucker practically from birth. This has always been just fine with me - she is able to self-soothe and I'm not constantly buying/losing/finding pacifiers. We'll deal with weaning her when the time comes. She stopped sucking from about 12-18 months, but has started up again in earnest since she became aware that her baby brother is on the way (due next month).

Now her thumb is getting dry and chapped, especially in the winter weather. She'll sometimes point to it and express discomfort/pain. I want to be able to treat it with a cream or something natural that will heal and protect the skin, but it has to be something that is not dangerous for her to ingest. Most creams state clearly on the bottle that they should not be ingested (for good reason, I'm sure).

Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I started using Lansinoh on her thumb, and even her hands and face if they were chapped from the cold weather. It works great - a little goes a long way! Thanks for the tips.

You could try 100% lanolin--the kind you buy for when you are breastfeeding. It's safe for babies and I used to use it on my daughter's chapped lips when she was an infant.

What about Lansinoh cream that you use for dry/cracked nipples when you're breast feeding? It is specifically okay to ingest and is safe enough for new borns.

I was a nursing Mom who used Lansinoh Brand Lanolin cream which is safe for your baby/toddler to ingest. I still have some cream and have used it for many things like under my children's noses when they are sore from a cold. It works great and I know it is safe for them.

Their website is www.lansinoh.com if you want to read more about it. I don't remember where I purchased mine but I am sure you can find it at any drug store or baby supply store.

Hello A.,

You might want to try Lansinoh ointment (100% natural lanolin). Its actually marketed as a remedy for sore nipples for breastfeeding mothers (thats how I originally came across the product). It does not need to be removed before breast feeding, so it is OK if its ingested. My 4 year old daughter gets very dry, chapped lips so I began using it on her when nothing else was working. It works very quickly, like a charm! If you want to look into it further, the website is www.lansinoh.com, and it can usually be found in your local supermarket in the baby aisle near diaper rash ointments and such. Hope this helps!

(Stay-at-home Mom of three- 4 yr old girl, 2 yr old boy and 10 mo old girl)

In my opinion, try Eucerin cream to help with the chafing. She will be fine after it dries, it wouldn't hurt her anyway. Maybe if she can still taste it, she won't want to suck her thumb anymore.

My husband and I use the Lansinoh Lanolin and Medela's Purelan nipple creams on our extremely dry hands as moisturizers. When you use it on your breast, you don't have to wash it off, so I assume it would be okay on a thumb. I use olive oil or other high quality food oil as a moisturizer on my baby. Good luck.

HI-
It might be a case that it 's a comfort thing and it was ok before but now with "discomfort" it need to change.
Try offer her more hands-on activities or 2 handed things to do....have her be "mommy's Little helper" it also might ease the arrival of #2.
Not that she'd be able to explain thoughts at this stage try talking to her she might be able to shake her head yes or No to let you know more of whats going on.
Talk to your pedaitrician if things get worse. J.

I use lanolin on my thumbsuckers chapped thumb. I love the olive oil idea!

my doc suggested "new skin" by bandaid, its a liquid bandage. worked great for my daughter when this has happened. I put it on right after a nap, blew on her thumb for about 30 seconds and it was dry. She healed in a day or two.Good luck

1 / 3