Crayons for 1-Year-old

My son is 13 months, and I had read something recently that was saying a one-year-old should be starting to color. We have tried the skinny bathtub crayons (he tried to eat them), regular crayons (tried to eat them and bang them on the table), and those round crayons that look like some kind of animal and just the tip sticks out (he tried to eat them). I am just curious if there is a different kind that he might be more successful with, or if we should just keep trying. We model it, trying to show him what to do, but he's not getting it yet. Any suggestions??

Thank you for all your responses! That was very helpful! I agree with not pushing it. My son is definitely not a "by-the-book" kid, and that's just fine! That's what makes him special! I was just curious if there was something out there that was successful. We will probably put them away for a little while longer, and I will try markers too. That was a good suggestion. We tried those round animal markers when we got the matching crayons, but -again- he just tried to eat them, which left him with a colorful face! Thank you again for all your help! Have a great day!

Have you tried an Auqadoodle? Since the "ink" is water it wouldn't be a big thing if he tasted it. Happy coloring!

I hate when you read stuff like that. As they grow, you will read when they should know their letters, numbers, how to write their name etc... and it can drive you mad! My son was closer to 2 before I really started him with art work. He would just eat whatever I gave him before them.

i, I agree with all that has been said, however I do advise that you stick with the chunkier crayons one he is ready. The cunky versions of anything at this age will help strengthen his fine motor skills.

For other ideas and tips visit my website at www.kidtastik.com

J., I would just keep trying and take them away if he starts to eat them. My daughter is 18months and really didn't start coloring well until she was 16months. She did do better with the stamps at about 13months than with crayons. They are the ta-doodles? Is that what they are called? Can't remember, but they are the animal round things. She liked them better because she could bang them on the table. Plus she figured out how they worked and liked to stamp her fingers. We had many days of purple and red thumbs! But that's all part of the fun!

He will get it! :)

I use Ferby short pencils by Lyra for my son. He also eats crayons. The Ferby pencils are fat for little hands to hold and they color much better than regular pencils, so he can get some color on the page for his effort. You can buy them off the internet from Amazon. He has also started using water color paints with lots of water. This needs a lot more supervision but he loves it. He tried to eat this too.
Happy coloring...

All kids try to eat things at that age...only give it to him when you are sitting right with him...also try the JUMBO crayons and Crayola also makes jumbo triangle crayons....easier to grip...I saw them in publix. If he's not interested...put them away for a month or so and try again.....every child is NOT by the book.....let them guide you and enjoy!!!

Give him another month or two and try again. My son (now almost 15 mos.) did the same thing a few months ago, and now he magically just started coloring the other day. Of course, I still have to make sure he's not eating them!!!! : )

Maybe you should try markers. I think they are easier because they can not be eaten the way crayons can and you do not need to press as hard. I love the Crayola washable pip-squeak markers, they wash of things really easily. It took a while for my daughter to get it, but keep at it.

My son is 3 1/2 and doesn't necessarily care for coloring. Do not worry if he isn't interested at 13 months and don't force it either.

Crayola does sell big crayons and some that are triangle shaped. I also just discovered that they now have jumbo crayons. They are HUGE and I think it would take a lot to break them.

I also have a 13month old. We started him out with edible fingerpainting (pudding and food coloring). He still gets to use his finger and develop his motor skills and eat the paint without us worrying about it. We're adding edible play dough next which will also help his development. There are different recipes online. The crayons may need to wait until he's a little older and not putting everything in his mouth as my son does at this age also.

Don't let the "supposed to" stuff bother you. My 2.5 year old daughter has always been advanced in language. I know she is smart, but she took for EVER to color. I did everything you've done, but she just didn't want to color. She eventually began coloring and loves it. It just had to be when she was ready, and she was around 2 when that happened. Taking her to story time I think helped out, because she saw all the other kids coloring a craft after the stories were read. Crayola makes a twist crayon that they can't eat. Well, for the most part it can't be eaten. They are plasic with a crayon core that you can expose by twisting. Please don't worry too much. He's still young.

1 / 3