Crayon Stains on Load of Laundry

Well, somehow a green crayon got into a load of laundry and I didn't discover it until after it had been through the dryer. Needless to say, every piece of clothing has green crayon on it. Does anyone know how to get this out?

This happened to me too, one red, one yellow and one green crayon...melted in the dryer.

I looked on the Crayola website and got great tips...

What worked best for me was to spray WD40 on the stains and then wash and repeat...some clothes were not salvageable due to the sheer amount of crayon that was on them...but I saved all my husband's blue jeans (he is 6'4 and they are expensive).

To clean the dryer, spray the WD40 on a rag and then use it to clean the dryer...then hot soapy water to remove the film of WD40. Do NOT spray it directly into the dryer.

Good luck...crayon in the wash totally sucks!!
{{{{hugs}}}}

The paper sack trick works... it's also great for candle wax and other wax-based substances. Just keep the paperbag between the iron and the item and have patience.

I have had this happen to me before too! You need a paper lunch sack and an iron on low to medium heat (without steam). Place the sack over the crayon spot and run the iron over a few times and hopefully it will be absorbed back into the sack. Your success will probably depend on the material of the clothing, with some being better than others. Make sure you check the dryer for any remnants stuck to the sides. Good luck!!

just wondering if you have received any advice....

Have you tried "GooGone"?
I think our crayon clothes were green, too. :)

PreSpot & Sol-U-Mel!! They're the best!! My daughter went crazy with her crayons and a Sharpie a few weeks back, but everything came out. I'd missed a few spots and didn't find them until after I pulled my comforter out of the dryer and it still did the trick! Plus, it's from Melaleuca so you know it's safe for your family, pets, the environment, etc!
I hope this helps. Let me know if you want to try it out!

~B.~
www.freedomunitedteam.com/bl24

For crayon, lipstick, anything with an oily base is no match for Basic H2 from Shaklee. This cleans everything and is also great to get the glue from kids stickers off your furniture, walls, and clothing. If you've washed a crayon, then sooner or later you will wash a sticker that is left on clothing. It will leave a messy glue deposit that is almost impossible to get off. I had a name tag left on a sweater. The glue was horribly dried on and imbedded into the yarn. The Basic H2 just balled up the glue and the sweater was like new. Using Shaklee's Basic H2 is alot easier and quicker than trying to iron out crayon and glues and won't leave a stain. Good luck with whatever solution you try!

I found this advice on cleaning tips.
Hope it works for you.

L. H.

1 Melted Crayon + 1 Load of Laundry = 1Big Uh-Oh!

There's tons of advice on how to get crayon out of clothing but so far the most recommended is: 20 Mule Team Borax and hot water.

Soak the clothing in the hottest water possible with the Borax. Follow measurement directions for your load size to the tee- Borax has a tendency to be hard on fabrics. Wash your clothes and check the results. Depending on the amount of damage done by the crayon, you may need to wash more than once.

Call the 800 number on the crayon box- they have all the instructions for clothes and dryer- or try the Crayola website.

Crayon are normally made up of wax and dye. So, maybe a candle wax remover will help. The dye may be a real problem.

WD-40 is the way to go... I had the same issue with a red crayon. Spray on the WD-40, let it sit a bit and then wash on Hot. You will need to wash the clothes a few extra times - to eliminate the smell. WD-40 also gets grease and gum out of clothes, carpet, and other fabrics.

Hello!! Had the same but a yellow crayon... use a thin towel and place over crayon spot and then iron over it, the crayon will come up on the towel, nothing to buy... good luck!

Hi S. -

I had a very similar experience with crayons being in my sons pant pockets and not knowing it until they came out of the dryer (I check pockets when undressing our son, my husband when it goes into the laundry... and he seldom does laundry....)! I did Google searches and tried several things. The one thing that worked GREAT for me was 20 Mule Team Borax. It is a natural laundry additive (so you can still use bleach and detergent).

I would soak the clothes in HOT water, in the washing machine, for a minimum of 30 minutes, and then wash it. I inspected each piece of clothing and what had crayons was but to the side and what didn't was put in the dryer (I also had to scrum out my dryer to remove the crayons!). The stuff that still had crayons on it I sprayed with a spot remover and then worked in some of the Borax. If I had to wash a 3rd time I gently scrubbed w/a toothbrush. I was truly amazed with how well this worked for me and I use it for all spots/stains!

Follow the directions on the box and it should work for you!

Best of luck.

WalMart has a wonderful product in the Clothes Dye section.
It reads on the box that it removes crayon.
It does.

I am so glad someone asked this. Mine is a purple crayon! I just keep forgetting to send in a question about it.

hi S.,
try peroxidei was told about it by a guy friend believe it or notbut its great stuff.yep the peroxide in the brown bottle for a$1 its great for lots butin yoyur case i'd just spray and rub in your case dont delutethen add a cap ful to laundry see if that works .its greatfor cleaning bath and kitchen with a half wayer solution in spray bottle
good luck L.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Hi S. , I just read an email where someone left a lipstick in the pocket and washed it. they say that if you spray WD-40 on it that it will take it out .I don't know but its probably worth a try.Good Luck!!! By the way thats a very pretty name!!

If the crayon was from Crayola, go to their website. They have every stain-removing remedy for their products. If it was a Roseart crayon, try their website.