Crayon in Car Upholstery

Hi moms!! I have melted (and smeared) bright orange crayon in the upholstery of my car. On the passenger seat. Anybody know how to get it out?

First, thank you so much to everybody who replied! This is what I did... I ironed it with the bag and towel and that took a lot out of the top. The problem was the crayon that was melted into the fabric. So, I used the WD40 trick! IT WORKS!!! So, all of you keep this in mind when it happens to you... ;) It worked so good, in fact, that my husband will never need to know about the bright orange crayon on the passenger seat... LOL Thanks again, everybody!!

I found this online, but never tried it myself..Good luck!

Spray the stained area with a cleaner like WD-40. Let it soak for 5 to 10 minutes. Use a small bristle brush and scrub the stained area. Go over the area one or two times; then wipe the stain with a paper towel. The paper towel will pick up the crayon you have loosened.

Spray the area again with a cleaner like WD-40. Dab the stain with a grease-fighting dishwashing liquid. Rub this into the stain with the scrub brush. Use a wet cloth to wipe the area. The stain should now be gone. If not, repeat the process until all the stain is gone.

Allow the area to dry overnight before using the vehicle.

I think I saw on Martha Stewart years ago, that she would take a white towel, lay it on the crayon, and then iron it. The heat would melt the crayon, and the towel would pick it up. I don't know why it was a white towel, probable just so you could see how well it worked. Never tried it myself, but in theory it sounds like it should work fairly well

Get an Iron and a heavy brown paperbag. Heat the iron to the highest setting and turn off the steam. Put the bag over the crayon and iron until the wax comes through the paper. Keep repeating the process useing a clean section of bag until no wax comes through on the paper. Then get a bottle of Dry cleaning fluid from the cleaner aisle at the grocery story (I like Thoro) and use according to the directions. This works well on carpet too with either crayons or candles. Just crayon on the wall can be easily taken off with Thoro.

Go to www.crayola.com they have the best ways to get crayons out of various fabrics and surfaces.

Hi E.,
I am glad that you got your crayon out of your upholstery in your car!! There were wonderful suggestions that i had never heard of before with the iron. Although the WD40 worked, there are other alternatives that are not so harsh for you and anyone in your car to be breathing in each time you sit in it. I am a customer of a company called Melaleuca that has an unbelievable stain remover called Sol-U-Mel. The number of ways to use this product are countless and it is not harmful to you or the environment. They have over 300 products that have been tried and tested over 23 years. Let me know if you are interested in setting up a wholesale account. This stain is gone but there will be many others!!!I have switched all of my products over to Melaleuca's products and it was one of the smartest things I have done.
Take care,
V. D.

I had the same thing happen to me. I uesd "Goof off". It smells like W-d 40, but it does the trick. I found it at walmart, not sure what department. All you have to do is spray let sit and rub, it may take a couple of times but it comes out. I had a crayon spot the size of a quarter and 1/2"thick in my car and all of it came out. Good luck!

Place a brown paper bag (the sandwitch bag type) over the crayon. Take an iron on low heat setting and slowly iron the paper bag. The colored wax will absorb into the paperbag. If you have your heat setting too high, it will cook the color into the upholstery. This process will take most of the wax and color out. In my experience color sometimes does not come out all the way. A professional detailing company my have a better solution.

The way I have removed melted wax from things like that in the past should work:

Place two paper towels over the spot, then use an iron set on medium or low to gently heat the spot through the paper towels. That should melt the crayon enough that it will be absorbed by the paper towels. Replace the paper towels if the crayon soaks all the way through so you don't ruin your iron. Good luck!

1 / 3