Crayola Crayons or Generic? What Is the Difference?

I am looking at the school supplies list for my oldest to start kindergarten. Some grades specify Crayola crayons. I know that Crayola is more expensive than others. I will buy them as needed...no problem with that. I do wonder what the difference is though...aren't crayons just wax essentially? Why are Crayola crayons better?

Thanks for the insight. I truly never knew that there was a difference in quality. I don't have a problem buying the more expensive crayons if that is what my child needs...I just wondered what the difference was. I don't even mind if the school supplies are pooled together. We are in a better financial position than many in our school district. If I can help a child have things to learn that they might not otherwise have, that makes me feel wonderful!

Oh my gosh, Crayola crayons are SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I never thought about it until my girls had Crayola ones plus several other generic brands. Some of the generic ones barely colored things - the colors were so pale. And some crayons melt easily. But not Crayola. The only ones I've seen that come close are the Melissa and Doug triangular princess crayons Those are really nice too.

Another difference that I noticed is that the generic kind glue their labels on. This means that when you need more crayon, you wont be able to peel the label and sharpen. Also, I love that Crayola has a line of washable crayons and markers....makes cleaning up so easy.

They are wax plus pigment. And pigments are the most expensive part of most art supplies. The cheap brands are more wax and less pigment. There are also waxes with different qualities, some of which transfer more smoothly to paper, and layer better over other colors. Some cheap crayons will barely leave a color on the paper, and won't layer at all.

As an artist, I can tell you that a well-saturated pigment makes a huge difference in the pleasure of drawing, and the child's satisfaction with the results. Spring for the couple of extra bucks for Crayola. Most other brands are insipid weaklings.

I bought Crayola 24 pk crayons yesterday at Office Depot for 25 cents a pack. Watch the ads for grocery stores, drug stores, office supply stores ads over the next few weeks and they will probably be on sale. I have always found the crayola crayons to be brighter. Remember to take pictures on the first day of kindergarten!

If you do get cheap ones, check to see if they say Non-Toxic, because not all of the cheap ones do. As far as Crayola, I think they are better too, the colors are brighter.

Usually, there is a big difference in quality. The super cheap ones (like from the dollar section at Target) don't color very well. They don't color smoothly and the colors aren't as bright or dark. Even the RoseArt ones don't work as well.

When I buy crayons for my kids I usually switch between the two. Good luck with school shopping...I have to do that for the first time ever this year!

Even the crayola brands are super cheap right now- 24 pack at wal mart is .20 cents! I will NOT buy generic school supplies (for home or school) There really is a big difference.

right now you can find school supplies on sale CHEAP at Wal-Mart and Target...

I prefer Crayola over generic - they don't seem to break as easily or dry out as fast as off-brand supplies...

I BELIEVE (don't know this for fact) that Crayola makes their crayons a tad thicker or adds something to them to make them more durable.

1 / 3