I read through the other responses and it looks like you have received some reat descriptions of the differences between cradle cap and eczema.
Here are some secific things you should do if you are leaning toward eczema:
1. Avoid eating dairy, acidic foods (oranges, tomatoes, pineapple etc.) eggs, and peanut butter, French
fries, margarine, donuts, hydrogenated oils, and SUGAR.
2. Avoid lotions and creams with Lanolin.
Even moms and dads should avoid lanolin if they hold and come in contact with the child. Many people do not know these have side effect like thinning of
the skin and loss of pigmentation.
3. Use laundry detergents that are free of fragrance, dyes, and chemicals.
Things like Dreft for Babies or FREE products (like tide Free) are NOT okay to use. THey leave a residue on the skin that causes skin problems in many people. I use and recommend SHAKLEE cleaners. THey were one of Oprah's favorite picks last year. Visit my website to learn more about non-toxic cleaners that can save a lot more money than buying from the grocery store. www.shaklee.net/fruth/getclean
4. Remove all chemicals from your home. Many of the everyday cleaners we use contain harmful chemicals that can irritate the skin.
For example, if you use a floor cleaner that contains bleach and the child is playing on that floor the residue
from the cleaner will end up on his skin. You would NEVER give your baby a bath in bleach, so don't use it
to clean with. "Over 150 chemicals found
in the average home have been linked to allergies, birth defects, cancer, and psychological abnormalities.
(Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission) Again you will also be saving your family $200 to $300 a
year just by switching to Shaklee Cleaners.
5. When giving your child a bath, try to use to coolest water possible. The heat will bring out the rash
even more. Be sure to use a cleanser that is at a perfect ph. When finished, lightly towel dry leaving the skin moist
and immediately apply moisturizer. This will help to lock in moisture.
6. One of the most important is a supplementation program, which includes essential fatty acids and probiotics.
I hope this helps.