Cradle Cap on a 5 Year Old

My twins are about to turn 5 years old. My son STILL has cradle cap (my daughter never had it.). I am getting so frustrated with this. It clears up for a while but then it always comes back. Using baby oil to loosen it doesn't seem to permanently work. I have even tried dandruff shampoo! Does anyone have an older child with cradle cap? How did you deal with it? Do they ever outgrow it?

Thanks for all your advice! I ended up trying Ketoconazole Shampoo, and noticed an improvement almost immediately. I have been using it the past three or four nights and the cradle cap is gone - yay! I will keep it up for another week or so and then try weaning off of it.

Try Virgin Coconut Oil, it is fantastic! It works for cradle cap, dry skin, psoriasis and eczema. I use it for all 3 of my kids (6 years, 21 months, and 4 months)

talk to ur pediatrician about prescription shampoo. Both my boys had it for years and nothing worked! finally their dr prescribed them a shampoo called Ketoconazole Shampoo. It is the only thing that ever worked! My boys have not had it for years now, but I still use it just to make sure that it doesn't come back.

Try Head & Shoulders shampoo. It worked great on my boys.

After trying a variety of shampoos (including Selsun Blue and Neutrogena Dandruff) and mineral oil (we tried basic Johnson & Johnson baby oil and Arbonne baby body oil), the only thing that worked for us was virgin olive oil. Unlike the contributor below, however, we rubbed in the olive oil about 30 minutes before a bath/shower, then washed off with regular baby shampoo.

Hello... please check with your son's pediatrician. 2 of my 3 children had cradle cap and needed prescription shampoo but considering his age, is it possibility it might be an allergy? Certain foods I've noticed make my scalp very itchy (wheat), maybe monitor and note if it's after certain types of foods.

Did you try the coal tar shampoos? Did you get a second opinion from a dermatologist? My son had it and the only thing that seemed to clear it up was very strong coal tar shampoos. He also had other skin sensitivities and was an allergetic child and teen. There is also a cortisone based liquid that you put on the scalp (scalpicin??) that might help. At age 5, I don't think you have cradle cap but an allergy problem in the making. Good luck.

A couple of my littles have had it, and now they just get a build up on the top of their heads. I took them to a hair cutter, to get their hair cut of course, and she suggested adding a little salt to the shampoo. She suggested that with the one that head the dry scalp too. It has helped a lot for all three. You don;t need much about a teaspoon of salt in your hand with the shampoo then just work the shampoo like normal.

I had this same problem, and finally took my 5 yo to the dermatologist. He recommended dandruff shampoo. It took about a month of using it to see a difference. It has now been about 6 months and it is completely cleared up. What a relief, it was really bad.

Just to let you know - my 5.5 year old son still has it! It doesn't bother him at all and he has tons of hair to cover it. The doctor suggested DHS Zinc shampoo (got it at Rite Aid) but I'm scared to use it on him because when I tried it first, it really stung my eyes. But I use it once in a while and it stops my itchy scalp really well. So it would work on him if he was at the hair salon laying back on the sink where there'd be no chance of getting it in his eyes!
The baby oil didn't work when he was a baby either...

1 / 3