Cradle Cap/ Dry Scalp

My 5 month old has an ongoing problem with a dry scalp. She is always itching it to the point of having to hold her arms down when she sleeps or eats. I cut her little finger nails but she still manages to cut her scalp when scratching it. I have tried olive oil each night and brushing it thru with a soft brush, head and shoulders, selson blue, aquapher and vaseline intensive care lotion. The head and shoulders and selson blue clear up the cradle cap in one day but she is still left with a dry flakey scalp. The lotion, aquapher and olive oil work well enough but require constant application, if I skip a day, it is dry all over again. Any other suggestions would help. We have to avoid products with scents in them like baby oil due to very sensative skin.

I used head & shoulders for a few days, and it worked. Afterwards, my sons scalp dried out again. I bought Aveeno Shampoo & Body Wash, and his dryness ALL OVER his body has cleared up, not just on his head... Good Luck!!!

Hydrocortisone Cream works great! We used it on my son's scalp when he had the cradle cap, and also under his chin when he had a rash, it is great stuff!

You have lots of suggestions, but didn't see this one on the list. We just saw a dermatologist for my sons skin issues and they gave us a sample of Neutragena T-sal shampoo. After two months of trying everything his cradle cap cleared up in less than a week. It can be found in the shampoo aisle at most stores. Hope you find something that works! B.

I would be very careful of products like head & shoulders, selson blue, aquapher, and vasaline . They all have pretty scary additives and ingredients like petrochemicals, parabens, phfalates and alcohols, just to name a few. And yes, all of those things have been directly linked to significant long term health issues.

If regular applications of olive oil are working, I'd stick with that or other natural oils. Olive oil is a magnificent healer. The structure of the oil makes it particularly good for penetrating, moisturizing and actually healing the flaking.

I'm mom who created my own line of natural skin and body care products because I couldn't find anything on the market that helped my son with very dramatic eczema. What I finally came up with helped to completely cure his eczema. And it is made of all natural, food grade ingredients. My Skin Healer would really help your daughter. I'd be happy to send you a sample, just contact me off list.

Blessings,

After using the shampoo, rub a little shortening into her scalp. My 32 year old still has to do that today because conditioners haven't worked.

I was told not too long ago that most scalp conditions like dandruf and itchiness is due to not dry skin issues but a yeast growth that's out of balance. We normally have yeast present on our skin but I imagine that with cradle cap that the babe is still "under construction" when it comes to the body tuning itself. I'd check with a doc but I was given a medicated shampoo to rectify the yeast growth on my scalp. I'd also try T-Gel shampoo, my step daughter had to use it as a kid for a simular problem...
Good luck...

My son had dry scalp/cradle cap that was irritating him too. We found a cradle cap wash in the baby isle at Target that worked really well. Just apply during the bath, rub in and comb through. It didn't clear it up overnight, but it was just a few days. Not sure if it is for sensitive skin or not, but next time you are at the store you can always take a look. I think it had Pooh or another cartoon character on the bottle as well. Good luck!

My son had a really bad problem with cradle cap and dry scalp. I tried ALL of the things that you've explained and more, but after months and months I finally figured out that he was allergic to milk.
So anyway, if you've tried everything, my suggestion is to think about what she's eating and see if that helps. It did take like a week for him to really start clearing up. But there were other things that stopped instantly when I started to change his diet,(or rather, mine since I was nursing)like he wasn't as itchy, even though the rash was still there and, he was just more pleasant/happy....Anyway, so what I'm saying is you won't have to wait a whole week to see if taking something out of her diet is working.
Anyway, I hope this helps, and good luck! :)

My son is 11 weeks and had cradle cap on his tamples, head, and between his eyes. I bought a product by California Baby called Calendula Cream. You can buy it at Whole Foods or on line. Its pretty expensive but works like a charm. All dry and flaky skin was gone within two days. I was pretty amazed. I hope it helps.

She sounds pretty severe, so this might not work, but it helped with my little girl. When you are in the tub, wash her hair first and just let the shampoo soak on her head while you wash her body and let her play.Before you rinse it, use either a soft toothbrush or one of those soft brushes they give you from the hospital. For some reason it helps soak down into the follicles and moisten the scalp better. Then don't worry about trying to get all of the dry flakes out. I know it looks gross, but it can irritate her more. Within two weeks of doing this to my daughter the problem was gone, and the flakes will start to go away on their own. My pediatrician told me this and said it was better than the over the counter treatments.

1 / 3