Could This Be Allergies or Does My Baby Need to Go to the ENT?

Does anyone have any advice on allergies in infants? My son, who is will be 9 months on the 1st, has had nasal congestion for over a month now. He LITERALLY has had more days with congestion than he hasn't in his 9 months of life. He has had his sinus sucked out (for lack of better words) 3 times now. The doctor inserts a small tube into his nose and turns on a small vacuum like thing, and sucks his sinus out. (although the doc says babies don't have "sinus") He has had 2 rounds of antibiotics because of infection setting in. It seems like as soon as he gets better he gets sick again. It is a never ending cycle. Here is what we have done other that the nose vacuum thing. We run the humidifier (at times with tea tree oil), vicks vapor rub on his chest and feet, saline drops and saline spray in his nose (as often as possible) using the aspirator as much as possible with out causing more harm, and I am sure I am leaving something out. The doctors said when he was 2 months old that it was from reflux (which is now under control and not an issue). And the other episodes after that were due to a cold. His lungs are fine, no congestion. His ears are fine, never an ear infection. There are times when his nose is so stuffy that he can't breath. He is just now figuring out how to breath out of his mouth, so it is a little easier now. When he can't breath, he has trouble eating and sleeping.

So...He has a 9 month check up coming up soon. Should I request to see an ENT (ear nose throat) doctor? Could it be allergies? I know babies who DID develop allergies so early. We live in a brand new house, so no mold. We do have 2 cats that we have had forever. What could the allergy be to? I am sure something enviromental.

What kind of allergy testing do they have for babies? I have a 3 yr old that has recently seemed to develop allergies, what kind of testing do they have for her? Is it a simple blood test, or needle prick?

Thank you for your advice. This is a small nut shell for the past 9 months. I just want him to be better and at this point I think something else is going on.

Definitely listen to Mimi, but also, see if you can arrange to stay somewhere (with local family, maybe? preferably not a motel/hotel) for several days and see if both kids appear to get any relief from their allergies. New homes are FULL of chemicals that can be toxic, especially for babies. The carpets, especially, are likely culprits, but sealants, polishes, insulation, paint, and construction dust are also very likely irritants. Environmental toxins are harder to test for in a doctor's office, but relief from symptoms is pretty apparent, if that's what it is and you can get them out of there for several days to see.

My son who is now 2 has always had this problem. The Ped. finally referred him to an Allergist who is now sending him to an ENT next week.
Good luck~

He could have a milk allergy--has he been on regular formula or one that is soy-based? Many babies just can't tolerate whole milk and it runs in families. S. B.

S.,

I can relate. My son had reflux from the day he was born. He had an upper GI when he was 7 days old to verify this. He was on medication for over a year to treat his reflux. He also had a constant runny nose and still does at times. I took him to an ENT and he had tubes when he was 15 months old. This did not seem to help with the stuffiness and runny nose. I took him to an allergist in Macon, GA and he tested him for allergies when he was less than two years old. You can check out his website www.drplaxico.com. I was very concerned about taking my son to an allergist at such a young age, but I emailed the doctor, voiced my concerns and the doctor emailed me back a quick response. I took him in for testing and we found out he had several food allergies and mold allergies. The testing he did was not difficult. My son never cried or even winced for that matter. The MD performed the testing on his back - multiple pricks but the MD and his staff were very good to explain everything to my son on a level he understood. We also had to have sinus x-rays and some other testing (radiological) In a nutshell, we had to modify some things per MD orders,took prescribed medication but eventually my son did get straightened out. He still has allergy flare ups at times but it is nothing like it was when he was a baby. I wish you the best. Just check out all your options. I promise it does get better.

Listen to Mimi. Until I took massive amounts of immune building cocoa and acai, I had bronchitis four times a year. No joke. After doing that, I went over a year without so much as a cold. Yes, I'm an adult and children might be a little different, but after that, I am convinced that building up the immune system is the answer to a lot of our sickly problems. On top of that, I had four children, one of whom was allergic to most everything, and I myself have had many allergies. After much testing for both of us, I discovered that the two most reactive allergens are dust and cat dander and this is true for most people with allergies. If I were you, I would put the cats in boarding for a week, completely clean the house of all dust, use an air purifier and see if things do not improve dramatically for your child. If things do not improve, at least you can figure the cats are not the problem. The suggestion for you to use an air purifier is a very good one, not taking many antibiotics unless absolutely necessary is also a very good suggestion. I might add to that for you to remove any stuffed animals from his room. And yes, see an ENT or allergist, or both. Pediatricians and GP's are great, but there's a reason there are specialists out there. Utilize them, by all means.

Hey S.,
I'm with the others...listen to Mimi. I also have a couple of suggestions. My pediatrician told me not to use the aspirator because it just causes more mucus and that vacuuming the sinus is not a good idea. We used the saline drops constantly (especially before eating and sleeping) and had fewer issues. And let me say, we didn't use just a couple drops either...we would go through a bottle every week. My pediatrician said it was better for the baby to sniff than to blow. The mucus goes out the other end after the baby swallows it away. The "mucosal membranes" (I think that's what he called them :)) have a certain ph balance and sucking out the sinus just drys the membrane out and causes more mucus to form to protect the "dried out" membrane. So, the saline protects the membrane from getting "dried out" and keeps the ph in balance. (That is the layman's explanation of what the doc told me :)). As far as the immune system goes, the first year is so hard anyway. Add to that antibiotics and you've got a mess. My children are older, but we use "Esperitox". It's an immune booster. I have been told that there is a liquid form of it to use with children under 2. I would agree with the air purifier and allergist. I have a couple friends who had similar issues with their children. They each made the appointment with a pediatric allergist without the referral and it's been the best decision they've made. Both friends took their children before they turned one. I would ask your doc about an allergist and even some of your church friends for recommendations. Good luck and God bless!

Hey S.,

It sounds weird, but it could be your cleaning products. There are a lot of toxins in your laundry soap, dishwashing liquid, windex, comet, etc. They have even discovered that SAHMs are more at risk for cancer than working moms because they are exposed to these toxic cleaning products for more hours. I have been buying my cleaning products for 15 years from a company called Shaklee. I have been able to completely de-toxify my home using their effective products. I was so excited last year because even Oprah discovered them and claimed that the Basic Household cleaner is her favorite! Even if the cleaning products being switched doesn't clear up your son's sinuses, they can't hurt! I would try it and see what happens. You can email me at ____@____.com if you want to know how to order them; I can send you the contact information of my distributor.

R.

I have absolutely seen allergies this young, regardless of how firm the doctors think they are. Allergy testing is done a few ways, the skin prink tests immune reaction that happens in the first 30 minutes (I think) and is called an IGA. The IGG is a blood test and it test for digestive sensitivites as well as allergies (why we need to distinguish I am not sure, but it makes the docs happy to not call them allergies). You can have the test run through an ENT or you could actually order an IGG kit from www.greatplainslaboratory.com and take it to your pediatrician, who could code it for you and draw the blood.

There is something you can do now that may really help him as you wait for your appt:.
1) remove all casein (protein from cows milk) by substituting rice milk or almond milk (add 1 tbsp cod liver oil for fat and omegas). Milk sensitivities will immediatly cause congestion and runny noses. My friend with her 6 month old would know within minutes of him having something with milk because his nose would start running. It is easy to do and you will have results within 2 weeks to a month of doing it.
2) Keep two windows that cross ventilate cracked slightly open so the air will clean. New houses off-gas and are actually worse than old houses in this way. The chemicals and toxins that come off floors, walls, trip, furniture, etc are huge. . Formaldehyde, lead, and many other dangerous toxins are known to affect the immune in a negative way.
3) If you are vaccinating, you may want to get educated on that topic. If a child begins ear problems, that is the first red flag of weakened immune. Yes, they are common, and yes, there are very common lots of health problems and behavioral disorders. I say this because I did not know what to do about my sons, and he paid for that ignorance. He isnow very healthy, but it took extreme measures which I would not wish for anyone. Check out www.generationrescue.com.
Good luck, J.

YOU NEED A SECOND OPINION!

Dr.'s are not perfect and they don't know everything. I'm sure your Dr. has been good, but ..... Moms feel a problem. Go with your instinct, not the Dr.'s.

Your name sounded familiar when you asked this question so I went back and realized I had talked to you before. I wrote you back in July when you were having a problem with the rash and the doctor said the problem was yeast. I said:

"Yeast is a VERY common problem today and if it is visible, then your little one is eaten up with it. Yeast is not dangerous for a short period of time but can cause MAJOR immune problems if not taken care of.

All the baby foods and the formula you listed is full of sugar and sugar feeds yeast (the sweet potatoes and the prunes should have enough fiber to contradict the sugar.)"

I don't know how you took care of the yeast but if it lasted a while or if it wasn't taken care of completely, it could have caused a weakened immune system so you are seeing symptoms now. If this is the problem you can still build his immune system so he can fight these things off by himself. Antibiotics may help an infection at times but they also break down the immune system and make the problem worse the next go round.

I was a sickly kid and so were my kids. My kids don't get sick anymore, not even a sniffle. It's really not a difficult or expensive fix but it needs to be taken care of now before it goes any further. Get back to me, I'll be glad to help you.

God bless!

S.,
My son also suffered from multiple sinus issues when he was younger (he is 2 1/2 now). My pediatrician sent us to an allergist (I believe it was just after age 1) and she really helped us get things under control. I will say that there are two things we have done that make all of the difference. First, don't just spray saline spray up his nose, use a sinus rinse. I believe they sell one at drugstores, but we got ours from the allergist. My son didn't and still doesn't like it, but it has made a HUGE difference. It really clears out the bad stuff that causes the infections. My daughter (4) uses it also, and she has fun getting all of the mucous out of her nose.
The second thing that has made a difference was changing him from milk to soy. I know that sounds weird, but all along the doctor thought some of his allergies were caused by a mild milk allergy. Since he has been on soy, his sinus issues have really declined. He still has milk in cheese and yogurt and the like, he just drinks soy milk. If your son is formula fed, try one without milk. If you are breast feeding, try limiting your milk intake just before you feed him.
I know it is frustrating and a little scary when your child cannot breath out of his nose. It also leads to throat issues. I would keep up with the humidifier, but make sure you really clean it. Mold can build up easily and that is a major culprit causing allergies. You might also try lifting up one end of his crib. We kept the big phone books at one end and always put his head on that end. You can also buy a wedge to put under the mattress. I wish you the best of luck. I keep my fingers crossed every year that my son's allergies will not start up. We have been lucky so far this season.

1 / 3