Could 4 Year Old Be Teething?

Hi Moms. I can't find any info on-line about this, so I thought I'd ask you... my four year old daughter has been complaining of pain in her mouth for the last two days. Is it possible that she has molars coming in or something? She says the pain is in back of all her teeth where there is gum tissue and space for more teeth. I know it's too early for wisdom teeth, but do kids get a set of molars at this age or anything?

Thanks a million for any feedback!

There are either 5 or 6 year molars that come in. I'd guess that's her problem. Just give her softer foods, some Tylenol or Motrin for her pain & use orajel or anbesol on a q-tip (easier to apply that way & less numb-tongue problems) to limit the Tylenol/Motrin use if possible.

It is possible she could be getting her 6 year molars, there are several more sets of molars to come in (before the wisdom teeth). She could have a cavity. Might be a good time for a trip to the dentist.

It could be her "6 year" molars. If she'll let you, feel the gum tissue area, see if its hard like when she had teeth coming in earlier. Also, if it's teeth, it probably won't hurt when you touch it. If its something else, it might. (Could also be tonsils, sinus, or something else, so if it's soft back there, she gets a fever, or acts more sick, call the doc. Better to be safe that sorry.)

It could be, but it could also be the throat, or ears, or stomach. It can be hard to figure out where the pain is coming from.
Is it time for her yearly dentist appointment? They could look at the x-rays and tell you.
If it is not you may want to go to the family doctor and let him or her look at her ears and throat.

mother to Kai
www.HomeWithKai.info

Hi R.--
Absolutely she could be teething. They are called the six year molars, but I got mine when I was four.
My kids like frozen blueberries to help the pain.

My daughter is going through the same thing, although she is 5 (6 in Feb). So, I am assuming that this is the start of her 6 year molars. It has been going on for a few weeks now, but I just checked her mouth again the other day and there is definitely 1 molar coming in on her bottom left gum. No signs of any others unfortunately. I'm guessing the pain might go on for awhile. Maybe your daughter is just getting them early? Do you need to take her to the dentist at all for routine cleans? IF so, they typically do an x-ray for cavities and could probably see if there are any molars that are ready to come up. We just use the chewable children's generic tylenol for the pain. we only use it when she complains of the pain, but it seems to really help.

I just took my son to the densist yesterday because he was complaining of the same thing. He told me that it is his 6 year old molars coming in. Kids have 20 teeth in their mouth and they start getting there set of 6 year old molars around the age of 5. Some kids do start to cut these early. When the child is 6 to 7 they have 24 teeth in their mouth. He also told me that kids that have trouble when they are little with there bottom set of teeth coming in are the ones that expirence the pain of the 6 year old molars. There is nothing you can do but rum the gums to help with the pain. The oralgel does not do anything after 5 mins. I was trying to find information to calm the pain and found this.

Hi
I'm a hygienist. Usually the 2 yr old molars are already in at that age (she should have two little molars behind her pointy canine teeth and that's her complete set of baby teeth) and it's really early for 6 yr old molars but not impossible. Was she early getting her other teeth in? Generally the bottom ones come in first then the top ones. Most kids don't even really notice them. I would check with her doctor &/or dentist because it could be any number of things. After 6 yr molars come the 12 year molars then wisdom teeth around age 17-18. Good luck w/this and the new baby too!

1 / 3