Coughing Until Throwing Up

I am having my first sick baby experience and it's freaking me out!
My five-month-old girl has a cough, and sometimes she coughs until she throws up - she did it last night and tonight. She just suddenly starts gagging and coughing, and today she started turning blue so I turned her over and she threw up. Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do?

I've been running a humidifier and put a wedge under her crib sheet to elevate her at night, to help her sleep. She coughs a lot during the night so we don't get too much sleep. This has been going on for about two weeks now.

Your advice is very much appreciated!

UPDATE: She has gone about 24 hours without having a coughing fit, so no throwing up today, thank goodness! I actually took her to the dr. about 2 weeks ago for diarrhea and a stuffy nose - he said she had a virus and hay fever. Also, about a week ago I called the dr. at night after a long day of coughing and she said to use a humidifier and to have her sleep in an elevated position, but not to bring her in. Since it has been another week, I'll call again to see if I need to bring her in. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

The pediatrician said throwing up episodes were most likely related to mucus drainage due to hay fever. Since then, my daughter contracted a cold virus and has been sick all over again! But no more coughing/gagging spells, thank goodness. Whew. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice! It was very helpful. I didn't know about the Baby Vicks etc. which is great to know. And I don't have family around, and my friends don't have kids, and I was extremely worried and feeling kind of out there by myself.

The doctor gave my daughter a nebulizer with abuterol prescription. Another child in daycare has a similar problem and was given a nebulizer with a pulmicort prescription. Good luck. db

she could have a dairy allergy- -My kids used to do this-- seriously coughing & then puking in their beds 2-3 nights a week--- it ended up they were allergic to milk & eggs...once we cut them out, the coughing stopped

You didn't say, but I would call the Dr. could be nothing, could be something. I'm just scarred that the mucus could build up and impede her breathing, that happened to my friend and she had to do CPR. Just call the Dr.

R.,

My 4 yr old son has asthma since he was 2ish. He also has always coughed until he throws up. From what I've seen through his experience, although uncomfortable, this is good b/c they get the Flem(sp?) out of their little lungs.

I would suggest a pill or something behind and in front of the child so that they don't turn over on their tummy or back therefore avoiding choking on their throw-up.

Elevation is good, pillows, humidifier and be sure to have her sleep on her side so that if she does cough up, she will not choke. Just keep an eye on her through the night.

Although its not a good practice, when my son was sick, we'd keep him in our bed between us and with a box of tissues and a bunch of towels up-top-by our heads incase he'd start coughing and throw up.

My son is now 4 and he doesn't throw up anymore (crossing my fingers) and his asthma is actually getting better, he's what I classify as a "Weather Asthmatic"...only gets sick with the change of weather and year by year, we've noticed that his immune system has grown stronger...

Hopefully its the same for your baby...

Let me know if you need additional advice.

Take care and good luck.

~C.

You may want to take her to her dr. to make sure she doesn't have RSV, which is a serious respiratory infection.

Hi:

She might be allergic to something in her bed and/or bedroom. If you want to explore that avenue, I suggest you take her to someone certified in NAET (a technique that cures allergies). My Grand daughter when a baby was treated by Dr. David Karaba in Fullerton with awesome results.

Best wishes,

Hi R.....yes, I agree that the doctor needs to evaluate her. She could have RSV. It's very common for infants this age at this time of year to get it.

I agree with your only other response! Get her to the Dr. IMMEDIATELY! Please let us know what happens!

Hi R.,

What I did with my baby was to place baby vicks in her chest, back and feet. Make sure you cover her feets with socks. This does work. I known it sounds funny but I was desperate like you and then I remember my mom use to do this with me. It will get better.:P

Take her to the doctor.....2 weeks is too long.

Call your dr.-croup has been going around.

1 / 3