Coughing for 2 Months

My son has had this cough for over two months but it has not improved. It gets so bad he turns dark red during these coughing spells his dr said he just holds on to virus's for along time.does anyone have any thoughts on this??

his doctor put him on an antibiotic to see if it will help hasnt yet!!! its getting worse but she is the only doctor he can see because of my insurance

Sometimes coughs do hang on forever it seems. But I think a second opinion might be a good idea. He could have asthma, or reactive airway disease, which my daughter had. She had to be on an inhaler to get rid of her coughs or they would just hang on and on. He's pretty little to have such a bad cough. I would at least see what another doctor thinks.

I know i am responding late, is there possibility that ur son has reflux? My daughter is only 1 mo old and she has coughed(spit up, gagged, chocked,regurgitated) since she was born and she was just put on meds for it. Just food for thought.

Perhaps something to boost his immune system. There is a natural product I use for my son. (he's 11 months old, I break the tablet in half and put it in his morning bottle). I started giving it to him after his first ear infection at 9 months in hopes of avoiding any future ones.
It's called nutriferon.
you can find it here: www.shaklee.net/rkklemm

My daughter had coughs like that, and twice they turned into pneumonia. We eventually found out that it's caused by asthma, and she now uses a nebulizer to control it (it's for kids who are too young for a regular inhaler). I would get checked out again- make sure it's not pneumonia or asthma. GOOD LUCK!!!

my daughter has had a very horrible cough for almost three weeks as well. there must be a bad virus going around. it's annoying and i can't wait until she is over it.

Ok, so I know this might sound crazy, but my sister-in-law works at a Chiropractic office and she said lots of parents bring their infants in to be adjusted because of symptoms like yours. I can't really explain it all, but it sounded like it would be worth looking into. There's lots of research that shows adjustments can get rid of lots of problems in children that people often try to medicate. Just a thought!

My son used to get a lot of coughing spells at night and in the early morning. I had him checked for allergies and he was negative (thank God!). The doctor believed it was some kind of 'silent' asthma, not the kind where you get the wheezing. So we tried the nebulizer with Xopenex (it doesn't make the kid hyperactive) and that took care of it most of the times. As he grew older Zyrtec worked the same for him, just one dose at night. I'm also taking him to a chiropractor, so that may be helping as well. By now looks like he has outgrown it (I hope!!!!).

I would get a second opinion. A baby should not be coughing for over 2 months now. I would go see a Ped. ENT if I were you. Good luck!

1 / 3