Coughing at Bedtime

One of my four year old daughters has started coughing at bedtime. It started this winter... she caught two colds and coughed a lot, which seemed pretty typical. I gave her Delsym cough syrup and honey and she seemed fine. Fast forward several months and she's still coughing a few times a week at bedtime. It's a dry cough and she coughs every few minutes - not continuously. She's obviously not doing this for effect (ie - no whining for honey or asking to stay up). Once she falls asleep she doesn't cough, except very rarely - like once every two weeks I'll hear her coughing in the middle of the night for a minute and then stopping.

She doesn't cough at any other time during the day and seems to breathe normally while running and playing.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this cough? The only thing I can find on the Internet is asthma, but she doesn't have any other symptoms.

Allergies, maybe? Something in her quilt or pillow that she's sensitive to?
Good luck, mama, and hope she's feeling better soon.

i recommend that you treat it like allergies at first, vacuum more often, use a hepa air cleaner in her bedroom, use dust covers and pillow covers. try to use products with less/no fragrance. you can raise her head a little too, put a pillow under the mattress. a humidifier is great, but you have to be really careful, i molded our house with ours, worse than dryness. if none of that works, i would see an ent. i would probably see one anyway, really. could be seasonal asthma. do you have pets? does she play outside in any woods/fields? stuff to think about..... good luck.

Not sure what it could be but get Vick's Vapo Rub and put a THICK layer on the bottoms of her feet at bedtime and cover with socks...no more coughing. good luck.

My kids do that when their allergies are bothering them. For them, it's post nasal drip like someone else mentioned. I told the ped that I was occasionally giving them benadryl for it and he said that was fine. I started washing their hair every night and it helped, too. I also put allergy covers on all of their pillows.

Could be allergies/allergy induced asthma. That is what I have (the latter) and my daughter has the former. Check w/ her doctor.

Do you have an allergy cover for her pillow? I've heard that can really help. Also maybe put her on two pillows at night for a week to see if that helps. My son had this after a cold last year. He went on breathing treatments for a few weeks and we were told it might be asthma. He has not had another episode since (fingers still crossed!).

Good Luck,

N.

My 7 yo has had good luck using what is an easier version of a Netti pot. it's more of a squeeze bottle. I taught him how to use it in the bathtub where he was relaxed and could get comfortable with how to tip his head.

He hasn't been tested for allergies or anything but does get post nasal drip often.

Sounds like it could be allergies...ask your pharmacist what you could give her to help with allergies.

1 / 3