Coughing a Lot at Night - Why?

My 2.5 year old daughter has been up the last two nights coughing. She's absolutely fine during the day (no sign of sickness or cough), but about an hour after she falls asleep, she wakes up coughing and coughs every minute or so for hours. She's not really 100% awake through it, but it keeps us awake listening to her. I'm worried she's not getting enough sleep and I know I'm not! What could this be?? She's not sick at all during the day. HELP!!

Thanks so much for all of your great advice. I took her to the dr. (they said to bring her in b/c it could be many things - sleep apnea, asthma, an infection, etc.), but they said it's most likely drainage from a previous cold from a few weeks ago (post-nasal drip type thing) or allergies (which she has a bit of). So, I'm going to give her Benadryl tonight and try a cold-mist humidifier. Thanks again!!!

Try getting a cool water humidifier for her room. The dry air from the heat is probably bothering her. Hope that helps!

My son was doing this a couple of weeks ago and also didn't have any symptoms during the day. After a couple of days, he started to have a clear, runny nose. Then I took him in for his regular well-baby checkup, and the doctor said he had bronchiolitis! It was just the beginning of it, so we were able to catch it early. Keep on eye on your daughter to see if she develops any other symptoms, and especially listen for any wheezing.

Also, try using a cool-mist humidifier in her room - maybe the dry air is irritating her throat.

Hi. Don't want to frightened you but my daughter did the samr thing a few months ago and they diagnosed her with asthma. Asthma usually get worse at night. Talk to your pediatrician and see what they say. I had a severe attack once that put me in the hospital so it's something I don't take lightly.

Not sure of this will help, but I've noticed that if I get hot I cough; it starts w/ a tickle in the back of the throat and continues until I drink water or cool down. Is your daughter's room too warm? Just a thought...

Good luck, hope all turns out ok and you all get the much needed rest!

My 5 year old son went through that last week. I gave him motrin before bead and it helped. Good luck!

-A.

1 / 3