Coughing - Jacksonville,FL

ok i really need help trying to figure out what is wrong with my 20month old little girl. Its been going on for about 5 months now. She has had a runny nose and very hard and sometimes violent coughing. I've been giving her benadryl but it only helps for about two hours then the coughing starts again. When this first started i took her to the pediatrician and they just blew me off and told me to keep giving her benadryl. When it continued for another week i called them back and that is when they gave an antibiontic for her and that knocked it out in 2 days. It has just started back up in the past week. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas i really don't what to take her to the pediatrician every time she does this for antibiontics eventually they won't help her anymore. Please help.

Ditto. Get a new pediatrician. Dig around and get a dr recommended by friends/family or whoever. Jen

I have actually been going through the same thing with my 2 year old and 6 month old. We just moved here 3 months ago and the doctor they have seen twice doesnt know what they are doing. I am in the process of changing doctors. Let me know if you hear any new information from anybody or a good doctor in the area.

My son went through this when he was about 8 months old. It ended up being seasonal allergies and we know go on Zyrtec twice a year. (Fall and Spring)

have her tested for asthma. she sounds like my eldest at 2. took a month before the Dr got it. when i took her in she just wasn't moving oxygen right so he did a neb treatment which opened her up and he could then hear the bubbling and wheezing. not every child wheezes with asthma my daughter gets all coughy and can't breath but will not have a wheeze 1.

My little girl is 20 months too and has allergies... sounds a lot like what you're describing. She always has some kind of runny nose, and very often her cough gets much harsher. She is currently on Singulair (preventive) which she takes in her food every night and Zyrtec (environmental) which she takes as bedtime every night. Sounds to me like the antibiotics are not what she needs. I can highly recommend our pediatrician, Dr. Hilleary Rockwell, who is on Park St. in Riverside, and he could talk to you more about that. I'd definitely get a second opinion!

When my daughter does get sick and need true decongestant, we stop the Zyrtec only when she's on another cough medicine but not the Singulair. It's really an easy system, but be prepared to spend at least $40/mth, just on the two prescriptions. I have great insurance and it's still that much!

Good luck! Let me know what happens!

Benadryl is not meant to be an everyday medication. It's meant to be used for allergic reactions. If you continue to use it as much as you say you have, it's effect lessens. Then if she comes in contact with something she's very allergic to, the benadryl may not work. Please seek out a different pediatrician.
In the meantime, get rid of any dust catchers she's around. Stuffed animals are the worst, heavy curtains need to be washed regularly, carpets cleaned or pulled up. Make her living environment as clean as possible, but without using chemicals. Instead use white vinegar, lemons, baking soda and salt. Those 4 ingredients can clean just about anything.

I am someone who dealt personally with allergies for years. I always took meds for it. It even got to the point of allergy shots, yuck ! What I have learned as an adult is the source of the allergies. It is what I eat. It is an intolerance to certain foods. For instance, when I eat wheat, I get a runny nose, tickle that causes a cough, fluid in my ears.... This is NOT a food allergy. Those are the ones that send people to the hospital because they can't breathe. So try to eliminate a food for a few days and see if it helps ! Much better than all those medications....

I have had the exact same issues with my two girls (ages 2 & 5). Around April of this year both of them had a continuous cough that kept them from sleeping well. Our pediatrician finally put them on antibiotics, but before that they did mention that it was possible they had allergy induced asthma. So, during one of the visits to the doctor they gave me a prescription for Albuterol (liquid form) and it helped tremendously. Warning: It does make kids hyper. My older daughter just had another bout of coughing & I gave her Children's Claritin 24hr plus the albuterol & it did the trick. If it keeps up it wouldn't hurt to take your daughter to an allergy specialist. My family & I are new to Florida. We moved from the midwest a little over a year ago. Our pediatrician said that it is not uncommon for adults & children to acquire allergy induced asthma when they move to a different climate....just an FYI if you are new to the south.
Dr. Edward Stewart in Ocala ###-###-####) was recommended to me by several friends that have taken their children there for allergies & asthma symptoms. I have not yet gone to see him since I have been able to control my girls' symptoms. Good Luck!

Sounds like allergies to me. I would have your pediatrician recommend an allergy doctor. If they are reluctant then get a second oppinion.

A.
Bristol, Fl

1 / 3