Cough That Will Not Go Away

I have an 18 month old who has had a cough for the last 3 weeks! No fever. No signs of being sick. It seems to be worse at night. He has been on 2 different types of decongestants to see if that helps. I know there is a lot of illness going around...I have had Strep and then Bronchitis just in the last 3 weeks. Thankfully he has been healthy through it all and tested for Strep but he is healthy as a horse, except the cough. The coughing is intense at times and he will wake up and cough for 15 to 20 minutes at time. What am I missing? Allergies? Do I need to have my air vents cleaned in our house? Is it the weather? Anyone else having this problem?

When my son has a bad cough-usually due to some illness-it helps to have a humidifier on at night. I also prop his mattress up at 1 end with a pillow, to keep his head elevated and reduce coughing. If you wanted to try using Vicks on his chest-it is supposed to be great for coughs, and you don't need to give him medication to achieve that result! Good luck!

Try a cool mist humidifier. Its keeps the air in the room moist, therefore keeping the throat moist. My 18 year old uses hers when she has a cough.

Have they done testing for RSV or whooping cough? My son is 5 Months and is the same way. He had RSV when he was about 2 months and his doc says b/c of that it will seem like he has allergies but its just the rev sticking again...

Hi T. A~ I am a mother of a 3 year old boy and a two year old girl. I would suggest that you talk to your pediatrician about the possibility of your child having asthma. My daughter has asthma and sometimes it is just a constant cough that is worse at night. And... a friend of mine's son has also been diagnosed with asthma and he has never wheezed, not once. He just has a chronic cough. Also, you might try rubbing Vicks Vapor Rub on his feet and covering them with socks at night. It sounds strange, but it really does work. I hope you find your answer! Maybe one of these suggestions might work! ~ K. G

Hi T.,
This sounds like an Upper Respiratory Infection to me. I get one every year around this time and the "only" thing that clears it for me is antibiotics.
You may want to get him a prescription and see if it helps. I was recently coughing so bad with no other symptoms and my doctor prescribed a Z-pac that cleared everything up.
He'll most likely get amoxicillin which will work just fine for a URI.
Good luck and hope he feels better soon.

T.,

We had the same problem. After encasing the pillows and mattress the problem went away...literally overnight. Google AllerG (the company we bought ours from) or dust mite solutions for more options. You can buy plastic mattress encasings from Walmart that zip around the mattress and not only protect your child from dust mites and their poo, but also protect the mattress from accidents. For pillows, you will want something more comfortable though than just plastic.

Also, I noticed several metioning cool mist humidifiers...the new gadget is warm mist with some sort of UV light that virtually eliminates germs building up in the water...other perks...I have Vicks, germ free warm mist unit and love how Allyson's (10 months) room is slightly warmer than the rest of our home and with this unit, I can use tap water! No more late night trips to the store to bring home distilled water for the humidifier. It does have a very bright light, but we covered it up with electrical tape.
Sincerely,

Both my kids (3 YO and almost 2 YO) have have horrid coughs since mid December. First round was croup (sp?) then the next 2 rounds we were treating with breathing treatments for an asthma like wheezing cough that was more so at night ended up being walking pneumonia. I would deffinetly check these two illnesses out because I know they are really going around right now and our weather has not helped out any.

Good Luck and get well!

My step-son had a cough that wouldn't go away. He also has juvenile diabetes and was in the hospital for another emergency. They got his sugar levels back to normal and released him. They said the cough was nothing to worry about. Two day later, his natural mother took him back to the doctor and they did a chest x-ray and found that he has walkin pneumonia. I'm not trying to alarm you, but it is something to check for when you take him to the peditrician. My step-son had the same symptoms as your little one. Dry hacking cough that gets worse at night.

Hope this helps!

It is allergy time... and when your nose is stuffed up and you breath through your mouth at night, your mouth gets dry and you cough. Try a cool-mist humidifier at night might help. I turn ours on about 30 minutes before bedtime.
Cleaning your air ducts may help. I don't know... but if he is coughing during the day too, you may want to insist on a chest x-ray just to make sure. Our pedi does them if a persistent cough lasts more than four weeks. I don't know what the four weeks was about, I'm not a nurse.
Anyway... we also use Ayr Gel. I put it on a qtip or my finger and make sure my son's nose is moist during the day. Soemtimes cough is from Post nasal drip... which would indicate allergy.
My thoughts are not organized. I'm sorry if this post isn't... but I hope it helps.
E.

1 / 3