Cough Syrup/ Cold Medicine for Nursing Mommy

Hi ladies,
I am still battling a nasty cold. What cough syrup and cold medicine is ok to take while nursing? thanks!

Tylonal Cold is the only thingthat helped w/o effecting my milk.

Sudafed allways effected my milk

I use a homeopathic cough syrup, Boiron Chestal, which I also use for my toddler. You can find it at walgreens, CVS etc.. This is a good website/list for modern medicine and breasfeeding, it shows all of the approved medicines and their risk category. I wouldn't take sudafed, it is listed as a category C, which means "risk has not been ruled out" (potentially not safe).

EVERY NURSING MOM SHOULD HAVE THIS LIST BOOK-MARKED!! :-) http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html
Feel better soon!

only a Neti Pot! No antihistimines---or drying up stuff--it WILL decrease your milk---it did mine--and with no real help===let the cold play itself out---good luck!!!!

From a mother of a 19 yo, a 9 yo, and a 7 yo, I believe mom's safest bet is Sudafed. Check with your pharmasist 1st, then go from there. I believe Sudafed is harmless...
Good Luck and feel better soon!

You should consult with a dr since you are nursing and you don' t want your milk to dry up, and that is what will happen with any of the antihistimines. When I was nursing and sick, the only the that the dr. Would give me was guafinisin (obviously I can't spell it properly)! It is is mucinex (not the d variety, just then plain mucinex). Call your dr and talk to the nurse and make sure before you take any meeds.
Steamy showers, vicks vapor rub and lots of fluids will help. I feel your pain, as I have been there too.
Hope that you are feeling better soon,

Sudafed allways effected my milk

I second the advice on using Boiron Chestal. I use it nursing and on my 3 and 6 yo. Great stuff! Just know that it is a homeopathic and that certain foods, etc. can negate it. Feel better soon :)

you can go to whole foods, stuff like elderberry syrup is all natural. avoid milk and sugar, take tons of vitamin c (like 3000mg) a day, and lots of fresh raw greens and veggies to help your body recoop

I was sitting here thinking the same thing. I'm on day 2 of a cold and my son came home yesterday with a note saying he's probably been exposed to strep -- great!

Anyway, I would just take Claritin (loratadine) for the congestion and Advil (ipubrofen) for aches or sore throat. Tea and honey for cough, or cough drops. I can't find any great information about the safety of cough syrups, so unless I'm having trouble sleeping or it gets uncontrollable I'm going to avoid those. I read something about fenugreek as a natural treatment, but haven't tried it yet since it would require a trip to the health market and not sure I'm up for dragging my sick self and baby out just yet. Hope you feel better soon.

1 / 3