Cough Remedy for 3 Year Old

My daughter will be 4 in july, she had very high fever for the past 3 days. Now she has a bit cold and bad cough. called the dr and she said no cough med for under 4. what do i give her? any suggestions?

thanks moms!

Thanks a lot for your input. This is an excellent site for all moms. Vick's Vapor Rub on the FEET then putting socks over worked well for her. I was surprised that something so simple could do miracles. I will also explore the homeopathic route in the future.

My grandmother's home remedy for coughs (caused by irritation -- not a productive mucus cough) was a tablespoon of melted butter w/ salt added. It works for temporary relief, but doesn't get you thru the night.

Hi Suparma,
you didn't mention if this was a wet cough or a dry one. I'll assume it is a wet cough, with this head cold. this is normal. First keep her indoors and resting since she's not over it yet, that wet cough is spewing out germs everytime she coughs. Try a childerns throat tea, I like Organic Throat Coat sold at Whole Foods, (in the tea section, made by Traditional Medicinals) My daughter still asks for this tea when she has a sore throat/cough. Suppressing a cough even for an adult is not good. If phelem is coming up teach her now how to spit it out in tissues and not swallow what comes up. You may want to prop her up higher with pillows for bedtime. That's what worked for me. Thanks, S.

This is my remedy for cough - I even use it myself since I try as much as possible to stay away from drugs - even over-the-counter....

3/4 cup to 1 cup of warm water (or tea if you don't mind giving it to your daughter), 1tsp-1tbsp of honey, and the juice from 1-2 slices of a lemon. It's not exactly a "miracle cure", but it is VERY soothing!! :)

Hyland's makes a great cough syrup from honey and other great natural ingredients. They have tablets too but the syrup is soothing to the throat. If you want a tea that soothes and really heals, my husband's mom taught me about ginger root. It is amazing. A little spicy so be careful how much you put in - slice some ginger root and boil it in a pot of water with honey and lemon. It is magic! Good luck!

I swear by Chestal by: Boiron available at whole foods...It's homeopathic and a must have

honey works great as it coats the throat but be sure it is RAW honey, not pasturized. that way all of the medicinal properties are not cooked out of the honey. check whole foods, windmill farms or possibly henry's for a brand called Really Raw Honey-i live by this brand and it works about a half an hour after you give them a spoonful.

good luck!

Only give something if it is keeping her up at night or she is coughing so hard and long that her throat is getting really irritated. Sprouts has a natural cough syrup, can't remember the name but I'm sure someone in that dept. can help. Otherwise, some warm tea with lemon and honey is a natural and soothing remedy.

* How funny, I just read the post below mine *after* I responded! So, sorry I was redundant!

Hi Suparma,

there are homeopathic remedies for caugh. OTC may work, may not. Individually prescribed remedy will work, but you need to have that done by professional homeopath. to find one close to you use this link:
http://www.homeopathy.org/directory.html
V.

I read that rubbing Vick's Vapor Rub (they have one for babies too) on the FEET then putting socks over the feet works to help stop coughing so much. It works on adults too.

You can also use a cool-mist humidifier in the bedroom at night.

You can also take the child in the bathroom with you and just let the steam from a running hot shower fill the room (you don't get in the shower with the hot water, just hang out in the bathroom with the door shut.) That helps a lot, especially right before bed.

We have also tried Hyland's Cough & Cold (homeopathic), but my son throws up every single time he takes it so I don't buy it anymore.

1 / 3