Cough Medicine for 7 Yr Old

Updated on July 13, 2011
D.S. asks from Columbus, OH

My seven year old has pneumonia and has been in antibiotics since last Friday. In general he’s doing really well with no fever, being upbeat and drinking well.
He’s been eating so so, but the problem is his cough because when it gets too strong he throws up, so the triage at the doctor’s office told me he’s old enough to take over the counter cough medicine. My question is, can anybody recommend a decent cough medicine? There are so many out there I would like to have an idea of one that works and that tastes OK since my son is VERY picky about that and if can help it, I would like to avoid the “taste” battle.
Thank you, any help will be appreciated.

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Wichita on

Sorry...not sure of a tasty cough medicine. We use a basic "Tussin" (equate brand...can buy it at Wal-Mart). Our doctor told us with NO letters (meaning NOT Tussin DM or anything like that), BUT your son is probably old enough that the 'letters' won't hurt him. I used basic Tussin while pregnant, because it was one of the few things that was safe to use.

For the cough, I would suggest that you try Vicks Vapor Rub on his FEET at bedtime. Lather it on the bottom of each foot; put socks on if you want to prevent a mess; and you'll be surprised how well it works to stop the coughing at night.

answers from Birmingham on

I give my oldest Delsym for his cough. It works better than any other cough med that I have used. I believe it comes in grape and orange flavors. He never puts up a fight when I give it to him. You can only give it every 12 hours. I also give him honey for a nagging, scratchy throat, cough. He LOVES it!
Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!

answers from Cincinnati on

i like dimetapp. it doesn't burn like hell going down and flavor isn't bad. Robitussin is awesome but it burns bad but works for my son.

answers from Seattle on

You might try some of the herbal or homeopathic concoctions. They are safer and usually taste a lot better. Of course, they're often less powerful as well. Experiment and see if you can find one that works for your son. Good luck!

The other question is: can he take pills?

answers from Cleveland on

Yup what Amber said, although my doc always told me to take tussin DM and NOTHING else while pregnant. I actually really like it, but most people think it's gross. Does the trick though.

And the vicks on the feet works, however, anything on the bottom of your feet is absorbed into your body, and vicks isn't meant to do that, so while I have done it, and I know a ton of others that have done it, it kinda makes me wonder if it's actually a good idea.

answers from Cleveland on

Don't know if they still make it, but I used Cheracol D when my kids were younger. A doctor recommended it and it is tasty.

answers from Cleveland on

In my kid's opinion, all cough medicine tastes gross. We've been told by their dr. & pharmacists to use Delsym (another mom posted about this). Also for coughing at night you could use Children's Nyquil. I also put Vick's Vapo Rub on the bottoms of their feet & put socks on them at night. During the day tea with honey & lemon helps a bit. Good luck!

Next question: Coughing!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!