Cough Drops

Does anyone have any medical information about the use of cough drops? Has anyone's Pediatrician told them about any particular dangers of using for toddlers (other than choking).

My son is 2 1/2 yrs old and has a very red, sore throat. (He's been tested for flu and strep throat and both are negative...the Pediatrician says he has a virus that needs to run its course.) Yesterday, my hubby gave him a cough drop -- he sucked on it for about 2 minutes and spit it out. Today, my son is asking for another cough drop. The cough drop package says to contact a Pediatrician regarding use for children under 5. I just don't know if I should give him one or not.

Our Pediatrician told us to continue giving him Tylenol since he is in pain, even though he does not have a fever. I can tell he is still in some level of pain, but not as bad as days ago. But now my son has started refusing Tylenol, and I do not want to force medication on him (since it's not prescription/mandatory). I don't want to bother calling the Pediatrician about cough drops and thought maybe some of you Moms might have some information. I know the cough drop must have some sort of numbing property...is this dangerous for a toddler? Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks everyone! I've been letting him suck on candy canes instead. This has also helped his mood, since he almost never gets to eat candy! :) The next time I'm out, I will look for those lollipops with vitamin C. We are relieved that he was able to eat/swallow breakfast today without problem, so his pain must be subsiding and he's on the mend. Great advice Mamas...thanks again!

They have sore throat lollipops at CVS and it's the CVS brand there about $5, Hope he feels better soon.

there is great stuff called Herbal Throat Coat sold at whole foods that has worked wonders for my sore throat, 1,000 times more effective than a cough drop

Try freeze pops. They help numb the throat. You can get the pedilyte ones or just regular. Check with the nurse you can also try the throat spray. Something I just thought of, maybe you can find a cough drop/sore throat drop that is a sucker that way he can not choke, but do keep him sitting with it. If they don't make them maybe they should? Good luck

I don't know about cough drops, but we use tea. Traditional Medicinals makes a Throat Coat tea that's very good. We also use regular chamomile tea with honey. Chamomile is safe even for infants. None of that will help though if your son won't drink it, lol. You can also just give him a spoonful of honey, it will coat his throat and also has great anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. Maybe try a lemon wedge if you think he will take it, my daughter does!

My son has asthma and when he gets sick his coughing is awful. He'll cough so hard he vomits. One of the times he was having a flare up I was told to give him a spoonful of honey for his throat. I'm not sure why but it does soothe the throat and calm the coughing. Just an idea. I hope your son is feeling better soon.

A spoonful of buckwheat honey works wonders too.

There are suckers out there to help little ones with colds. They have some Vitimin C in there and other things to help soothe. It seems to help my daughter. If nothing else, it coats their throat and calms the cough for a little while. I found my current pack at Walmart. My daughter's older, but I've given her the Luden's throat drops, and they seem to help her. She won't do any of the mentholated drops, but the Ludens are soothing. Spoonfuls of honey are nice, too!

I give my 3 1/2 year old cough drops. I started allowing them after 3 years of age. 2 1/2 is much younger. I think you need to use your gut & decide if you think he is mature enough to understand not to swallow it, & if you think he has control enough over his mouth/sucking to not accidentally swallow it. If you're unsure, I would not give it to him. I also hear a little spoonful of honey will work.

www.mydiaperbabycakes.com

Hi there, I hope your son is feeling better, but just in case, I have a few suggestions. I probably wouldn't give a cough drop, but one mom mentioned cough lolipops. i like that idea. Ibuprofen or Tylenol might help. Also, try chamomile tea with honey (make sure it cools down). B & T makes a homeopathic cough syrup for kids. It's homeopathic and doesn't contain any "medicine" so it's ok for the little ones. You can get it Merz Apothecary or www.smallflower.com. My 2 year old was sick this past week and it really helped. Hope he feels better soon!

1 / 3