Correcting Spelling and Grammar

So another response to a question got me thinking. . . when my husband texts me he is constantly using the wrong "to" "too", "there" "their" and "they're" and it drives me nuts! Do you have husbands that can't spell / use the correct spelling of a word? Do you correct them? Man, I get in trouble when I send a message back saying, "I think you mean it's 'too' late" . . . ha ha! Am I terrible?

Rosebud: No, he just can't spell to save his life. In any situation! :)

No. But my husband doesn't text me. He calls. My SON texts me. And I can't read his text messages without a secret decoder ring.

Anyone have a secret decoder ring for teen's texting?

Cheers!

haha! I just posted that as my most hated! Yes he does it and yes I correct him and he gets SO mad sometimes..I tell him that's "to" bad, deal with it or spell it right! ;)

My husband does that all the time. I don't say anything. :) I think he's super smart and is especially in other ways. Every once in a while, if it trickles onto something more important or if he needs to write something to someone else, then I'll casually remind him. Other than that, I don't say anything. :)

Good rule of thumb – don't correct unless you're asked. I'm a former paper-reader for an English department, and have found out that over-correction, or unwelcome correction, actually strains the writer's ability to communicate spontaneously and accurately (and can strain our relationship with the writer). Spelling and grammar are not usually as important as content. This is true for kids just learning to write, and adults who either never learned or are unable to learn.

There are exceptions, of course. By high school, research papers are required to have as-near-perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation as the student is able to produce. Business communication, and job resumes, should ideally be perfect, because they assure the recipient that the writer is educated, competent and reliable.

But some people just can't spell, including my husband, who writes science and math books for a living. I'm his primary spell-checker and editor (that's one of the reasons we got together in the first place ;-). Just like some people (and I'm one) can't remember names, or dates. We all have our individual strengths and weaknesses.

Cheers!

Yes, you are terrible. Nitpicky, I guess they'd call it nagging.

You're lucky, though, mine uses auto correct and sends me texts that say something like...

Your excellent peach feet thirty-nine!

What on EARTH?!

Least you have a good idea what he's tryin' to say.

I should mention, I am the only one in the family without an iphone. In fact, I don't even have a full keyboard, just numbers. So yeah, when I text, you better believe I'm not being especially careful, takes 4ever!

:)

Oh God NO!! My husband is truly anal about spelling....

And no, my husband doesn't text...if he texted me? I would probably faint!! :)

My husband is a grammar nazi. I'm scared to even text him :)

Does he only do this when texting?

I don't correct the spelling of my texts, because I have a crappy phone and I'm a slow texter and can't be bothered to fix misspelled words. And the phone doesn't know some words. I don't think my phone knows "they're," for example. And no way am I going to spend 4 minutes trying to type that.

So as long as he spells correctly in other situations, don't bug him.

If you've corrected him once, I would just let em be. Lots of brilliant people can't spell. I'm sure everyone can think of something they can never seem to do right. Would you want to be constantly told how you are doing it wrong?
Example, my husband constantly would correct my pronunciation of certain words. He says it's embarrassing when I talk incorrectly that's why he tries to "help" me. Well, I find the corrections appreciated the first time and then just belittling. Just an opinion.

1 / 3