Corian Kitchen Sink Pros & Cons?

Hi Moms,

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with a (integrated) Corian kitchen sink vs. a stainless steel sink? I'm interested in know the pros and cons of having a Corian sink, if you liked it or didn't like it and why.

I actually have the intergrated Corian sink and counter top in my kitchen now. I like the look of the continual color. I have had it for over 20 years. It does scratch, but I can put a hot pot on it and nothing happens. I could get the scratches out....just haven't thought it was that necessary. I use soft scrub on it and it comes completely clean. I have been happy with it. We are getting ready to redo our kitchen and I'm not using Corian again. Only because I want something different and my uses for my kitchen are different than they were 20 years ago:)))) Now that the children are grown and gone, it doesn't get used quite so often....good luck with your choice!

I have one and I love the way it looks, but it's really stained and I've only had it about a year and half. Unless I can figure out a way to clean it, my next sink will definitely be stainless steel again. Hope this helps!

I decided on Silestone over Corian recently - with a drop in iron sink, rather than a stainless steel sink. I like the look of Silestone better for one thing, but it also has some advantages over Corian that work for my needs. The company that makes Corian actually has a new product out that doesn't have the same issues that Corian had in the past. I don't think it's outrageously more expensive than the original product, but it is quite a bit better - less scratching, more heat tolerant, etc.

The advantage of Corian is that it's a solid surface, so if it does scratch (which, incidentally, I have never noticed in my mom's kitchen) you can easily fix it.

My husband and I remodeled our entire kitchen 3 yrs ago and I really wanted Corian until I read some of the cons. You can't cut on it because it scratches easily and the finish is very heat sensitive. I was concerned mainly about those issues for the countertop but I imagine that having it as your kitchen sink you'll possibly get scratches from silverware and pots/pans. I also sometimes put a warm pan into the sink when I'm done cooking but it would have scorched a Corian surface. My mother-in law doesn't like that hers was not built with the counter angled down toward the sink so water pools on the counter next to the sink when she's doing dishes. If you get the Corian, maybe consider getting a 'routed drainboard'. I think that's what it's called.

We ended up getting the LG Viatera quartzite with a stainless steel sink and we've been really happy with it. It's really up to what your needs /uses of the surface and sink will be. For me it wasn't the best choice but it might work great for you. Best wishes! :) http://www.lghi-macs.com/LGViatera.html

From a resale stand point you should go with stainless steel, not corian. Corian is dated and also has the drawbacks that others pointed out (scratches easily, gets discolored/stains when heat is on it).

I'm a Realtor and I've seen buyers' reactions when they see a kitchen with corian and a corian sink (regardless of how new it is). They immediately think "dated" and start adding the cost in to switch to granite.

Hope this helps,

1 / 3