Cookout Etiquette - Do You Want a Hot Dog or a Hamburger?

Not exactly a life or death question, but my husband and I have not always seen eye to eye on this. Background is that we were at a backyard cookout over the weekend and the hostess (with pen and paper in hand) asked each person in turn - do you want a hot dog or a hamburger? She then took a tally and had her husband cook exactly that number of each.

My feeling has always been to have my husband cook at least enough of each to cover each person having both a hot dog & hamburger, plus a few more of each. I find that people often eat more freely when more than enough is set out. When asked what you'd like ahead of time, I feel people are put on the spot and don't want to appear a glutton. I know for a fact that at least one person who attended the weekend cookout is a big eater (we have hosted him at our home many times and despite his average size, he really enjoys a hearty meal). I know for a fact that, being a polite person, he would have felt funny saying what he really wanted when the count was being taken.

So - how do you handle this? Do you get a count and cook the exact number or do you estimate more than what will be needed and cook accordingly? PS - DH came from the "pencil and paper count" family and I came from the "there's no such thing as too much food" family. We used to disagree on this point, but having gone home from many a cookout hungry, he has come over to my side.

I should ADD - I don't have any reason to think that money was an issue at the cookout in question. I brought a home made dessert and another guest brought a dessert too.

xx

Absolutely not. I've never heard of that and I think it's incredibly rude. Even when it's just family we make enough. Leftovers make for a great dinner the next night! If money is an issue, maybe they shouldn't host a bbq.

I have never been asked that at a cookout. I have been asked "who wants cheese?" but never which meat. it is always cooked and thrown on a big platter and people help themselves.

I am with you. It is better to have more food than not enough. I want my guest to feel comfortable and full!

I am a believer in cooking everything on hand and ordering a couple pizzas too for good measure!

We're Italian.
I think that answers the question! lol

i would think it a bit rude to go around with pen and paper and take "orders", myself (not to mention a huge hassle). what we usually do is just cook a bunch. you over estimate rather than under estimate. i'm with you. both hamburgers and hot dogs freeze great - NO reason to skimp. they WILL get eaten.

Wow, I have never had this come up! In our family, from uncles to cousins to grandparents to immediate family, we always cook an abundance of everything so whomever wants 2 burgers and a brat, or a hot dog only or ribs and a burger can have what they want, like you say, "There's no such thing as too much food." I just figure you're there to feed people, not taking orders like in a restaurant :-/

I agree 100% with you. We cook freely and encourage people to eat freely. I have never in my life been to a barbeque where orders were taken and an exact number of each item cooked. Never. I can't even imagine. Is this an East Coast thing?

In our family, we always make more than anyone can eat. I would hate for someone to leave my house hungry!!! Point of them coming over is to eat, not starve!

And if I dont want leftovers then I pack them up and send them home with my guests. Simple as that. But that's just me.

I come from the school of thought that says you just cook up a mess of burgers and dogs and let me people have how ever much of whatever they want. I wouldn't want to make people feel like they could only of one of anything. Usually we will ask people what they want initially, and then ask who wants seconds. It's not like that stuff is THAT expensive anyway!

1 / 3