Cooking Without All the Smoke

I must admit that I feel a little ridiculous asking this question... the answer has to be so simple, yet I can't see it. Whenever I try to make a really nice dinner for my family and put some meat dish in the oven I end up practically smoking my family out of the house!! For example: At this moment I am making Sunday dinner, chicken, and I have all the windows open, fans going (pointing OUT the window to push the smoke out) and my house is somewhat hazy on the inside because of all the smoke! This is SO frustrating!! I kinda want to just go to only boxed meals! At least there wouldn't be so much smoke involved. Is there a way to keep things from smoking in the oven? Help! Thanks in advance for the replies!!!

I would clean the oven out, it sounds like something in the past has spilled onto the bottom and is burning when you use the oven. My mom made some chicken in my oven over mothers day and a bunch of the juices leaked out and I had to scrub it out after the next time I went to cook and had the smoke problem.

When you're cooking--are you keeping a liquid in the bottom of your pan? I always line my pans with foil before I put anything in, then add my meat and then other ingredients...Then I fold the foil over and seal everything in.

Have you spilled something in the bottom of your oven that just needs to be cleaned out? It doesn't take much to make a lot of smoke for several cook cycles.

Other than that...I think we need a little more information. What temperature is the oven at? What kind of marinade did you use? Have you checked the temperature of the oven? Make sure it is heating accurately...mine is off by about 23 degrees (of course it is also nearly 20 years old).

Don't resort to box meals...you can do this!

You should never have smoke when using your oven, unless you're using the broiler; and then the smoke is minimal.

The first thing that comes to mind is something has spilled in the oven and is now burning off. So be sure the oven is clean.

Do you have an electric oven? The next thought is that you may be placing the food to close to the top eletrical unit.

Another thought, are you cooking the meats at the correct temperature? Most meats are cooked at 375 or less. Some receipes may have you start at a higher temp and then lower it.

Are you using the correct size baking dish to prevent juices from overflowing?

Does this only occur with meats or other foods also? If all foods than you may want to have a repair man take a look at the oven.

First step would be to make sure you're oven is clean, then the second step would be to check what temperature you're cooking things at. I never cook anything over 350 degrees, unless the recipe says otherwise (some cookies call for 375 or 400) but I usually bake it at 350 or 375 for a longer time frame. It's really only another two or three minutes extra baking time. If it's something like a beef roast or chicken that you're roasting, try putting it in a casserole dish and cook at 275 and let it cook all day. Good luck!

Sounds like no one else gets it! I do (at least as far as chicken is concerned). When you roast chicken, the grease pops, hits the top of the oven, and creates smoke. I solved it by buying a roasting oven at Target. I love it. It roasts the chicken or turkey perfectly and creates no smoke because the lid isn't hot (or at least not hot enough to create smoke).

Hmmm...three things come to mind. Either your oven runs hot. And this would be easy to check with a thermometer. Maybe you are setting it for 350 and it's actually hitting 400?? So while the meat is cooking, the juices and brine are burning. The other thing that comes to mind is possibly using the wrong pans. Maybe the juices are spilling over. Or are you using a pan that's older and damaged? I recently baked something in the oven and got a little smoky/ burning smell. The pan was the right size and I couldn't figure out the problem. When I was scrubbing it later I noticed tiny pinholes in it...I guess it had aged over the years. The other possibility is that your oven just needs a good cleaning. Maybe it's debris on the bottom burning. If all else fails...I know lots of people who cook their meat in a crock pot. :) GL!

you need some oven cleaner....or some are self cleaning you just need to put it in that mode and maybe hang out in the backyard for a while till its done!!

1 / 3