Constipation in 6 Month Old

My daughter is 6 months old and has been on solids for 6 weeks now and we tend to feed her fruit in the early afternoon and then a vegetable in the evening with her normal bottle of formula at each feeding. The other day my husband noticed her stools were really hard and it was 2 days prior to passing her movement. We are thinking it's constipation - any suggestions on how to prevent this? Is it too much bananas maybe? Should I feed her prunes or a little bit of prune juice? Any suggestions will be helpful. She seemed to be in pain when she went becuase she cried so I want to prevent this if I can.

Prune juice works great, or you can feed her prunes. Gerber makes baby prunes and baby prune juice. Just give her up to 4 oz a day. That should do the trick.

I would stop using Rice cereal, bananas, and apples.
Contrary to a previous post, apple juice causes constipation. Feed her lots of oatmeal cereal, pear juice and pears and she'll be going just fine.
Mom to almost 5.
2 had severe constipation due to milk protein allergy and low tone.

Bananas are constipating, and eliminating them will do the trick in a few days. However, prunes are harsh because they are so gassy. Giving prunes, you could end up with another problem - a screaming, gassy baby.

What formula doesn't have that breast milk does is essential fatty acids. These EFA's help a baby to digest her food once solids are introduced. The missing EFA's are one of the primary reasons babies get constipated.

You can swing by any natural food store or vitamin store and pick up Flax Oil or Cod Liver Oil (the flax has way less of a strong flavor). Put a teaspoon in her formula and shake it well. She won't even notice it, but her bowel movements will IMMEDIATELY soften without diarrhea or gas.

Essential Fatty Acids include: flax oil, fish oil, primrose oil, borage oil and wheat germ oil.

Prunes always worked for my son. You can also try prune juice or white grape juice.

You could definatle try some prunes or prune juice. I have been giving that to my 9 month old son since he was a few weeks old for constipation. Gerber makes an apple/prune juice (it is by the babyfood) and I just mix two oz of that with 2 oz of water and give that to him about every other day and he now stays very regular. Hope you find something that will help her.

Hi C.-
Common in many young babies.
Yes- bananas can bind- remember the "BRAT" diet to stop diarrhea.
Watch Karo syrup- but you can try that.
We used prune juice and acidophilus.
Then we switched to what we called "fairy dust"- a dissolvable fiber product a company carries (I now belong)and their aloe.

Just keep using things till you find the right mix.

If you want to know more about the fairy dust and aloe- email me.

About me- 47yo med. prof, wellness coach, wife and mom of almost 7yo twin girls.

B. Jarmoluk
verizon cell ###-###-####

I always found apple juice worked great. And I never bothered with with baby brands, just watered down the frozen concentrate, but that was just me and I'm a bit old school. :-) Best of luck!

~J.

Yes bananas will do it. I always followed up bananas with prunes ot other high fiber fruit/veggie & they couteracted each other pretty well. try eliminating the bananas for a week or so & see if her BMs rturn to normal. If so you know it is the bananas if not their is another food causing the problem. The easiest way to determine what the problem food is, is to eliminate all foods except one for a few days to a week, see if that is tolerated & then add another, wait another few days before adding another. That way you know eacatly what food is causing contipation, diahrea etc.

Instead of prune juice try pear juice every morning. I would put it right in with my sons formula in the bottle. I would do that every morning and we didn't have to worry about solid diapers.

is she bottle fed or breastfed? typically breastfed babies dont get constipation so im going to assume shes bottle fed.

formula fed babies usually need a bottle of water during the day. formula is more concentrated than breastmilk so constipation is VERY common. its also very painful, and if baby thinks pooping is painful, they will try not to push, and after a while of not pushing, the intestines will stop telling the brain to push....

however, its usually not that bad. its all about balance. i have a formula fed baby in my day care and as long as i give him a sippy cup of juice he usually is fine.. maybe steer away from foods like rice, bananas, etc cuz they are constipating. instead of rice cereal, you can use oatmeal or mixed. but even just a bottle of water once a day should be enough to loosen things up.

formula should be treated the way it used to be : something only given to our babies after careful consideration of both mom and baby's doctor. some certain brands can certainly constipate baby so thats something to think about also.

good luck and i hope this info helps!

1 / 3