Constipation from Antibiotics

My three year old has been on antibiotics for strep throat. He was on one round that didn't cure it so now he just began his second round of another kind. However, he has not had a bowel movement since Monday morning, today is Wed. and he's usually VERY regular. He keeps complaining of his tummy hurting and now his bottom hurting. I know it's got to be the constipation. He'll try to go to the bathroom but nothing ever happens. I've tried apple juice but are there any other "quick fixes" for this? He's in such pain and I just want him to be able to produce! I'm kind of limited on foods because his appetitie isn't so great right now as well. Please give me any advice you may have! Thanks!

Thanks to all of your wonderful advice. I now have EVERYTHING on hand if we ever face constipation again! I ended up doing the baby enema and within an hour, he produced, thank God! I tried the different juices, karo, etc. but due to his decreased appetite, these weren't very appealing. So, I resorted to the enema and that helped. Since last night (wed) he's acually gone three times now, so I think we are in the clear. Thanks again for all of your responses and great help.

there is a laxative that is very mild and helps wonders. It is called "little tummies laxative". It comes in a liquid form. It has helped my 3yr. old in the past when he was very constipated for 3days. If that does not work, try some sort of sapos. from his doctor.

best of luck. Hope the little one gets to feeling better.

L

my son had some issues with constipation around 6 mos. The doctor had us buy pediactric glycerine suppositories (sp?). You lube it up with ky and insert. Usually just the act of inserting the suppository would cause him to go. It's not plesant but it works. (not painful to the kid) Hope this helps

Have you tried yogurt- that can help restore the natural bacteria that help you digest properly. There is a new one out called Activia that is very good. Also, have you tried prune juice?

I saw the post about flax seed- my only caution with that would be that too much of it can actually cause constipation- but it is very good for you.

P.

I would go to the store and buy some flax seed. You can mix it in with whatever he will eat and he won't be able to tell. It should work pretty quickly for him. My neice had the same problem and she was fine in about a day after all the back log got cleared out. Other then that you may want to go to like Walgreen's or somewhere like that and ask the pharmacist for a safe laxative for kids that age. They are more then happy to help.

they make glycerin suppositories that you insert into the rectum and they melt and lube everything up. it is not comfortable for either (i recommend using your pinky), but it works wonders. have the child lean over the toilet to insert and sit down immediately. i had to do this with my son when he was about six months after 3 days without a movement and we went through 6 diapers. check with your ped first, he may have a more pleasant solution, but this will work

L

Try prune juice! Or give him lots of fruits like bananas and grapes.

Yogurt (with live cultures - to restore his intestinal fauna), and gingerale - regular, not diet. It has a lot of sugar in it, and it will pull water into the intestines. Make sure he's hydrated, too. Dehydration can cause constipation.

My son is 2 and had not been constipated since he was a baby, until maybe a month ago. He did exactly the same thing your baby is doing. He said his stomach hurt and he kept crying when he tried to poop. I went to the store and bought baby prunes from gerber and gerber prune juice. I gave him the prune baby food and it did not help. The next morning I gave him the juice (not diluted) and within the hour he was able to poop and was fine. I would recommend just giving him the juice and since it comes in such a little bottle it should not be too much for him.

1 / 3