Constipation - Bedminster,NJ

My son is 3 weeks old and I recently switched from breastfeeding to formula due to unfortunate circumstances. He has none gone poop in a little over 2 days, and I'm starting to get concerned. Some websites say this is normal due to the transition; however, I can tell he is uncomfortable. Any advice?

I would call the pediatrician-they are totally used to calls like this, so do that to put your mind at ease. My little boy (who is breastfed) wasnt pooping for days at a time (and it still happens) so I gave him half a pediatric glycerin suppository and it worked immediately-like within 30 minutes. The other remedies -the karo syrup or even just plain water-were recommended by my ped as well but at the time we hadn't given him a bottle yet. Its the worst to see them uncomfortable. Hope this helps!

The formula's too high in iron. Try a different brand.

Higher Iron in formula can cause constipation.

Old school trick that actually works?

Karo syrup, supposed to be the brown kind, but the clear works the same.

Add a table spoon to his bottle. He isn't too young and it wont hurt him at all.

My son was constipated all the time and the pedi recommended this after my mom and mother in law said to try it.

Don't do it too often or it will cause the runs :)

call pediatrician any question is important.

An ounce of chamomile tea. I've heard that Karo syrup works, but my baby didn't like it. I think it was too sweet.

At that age...even breastfed babies can get gas and be uncomfortable...a little moreso for breastfed babies :(. It may end up working itself out in the next food days...hopefully! Poor kiddo! My mom swears by diluted chamomile tea...if he was older I'd suggest diluted prune juice...but 3 weeks old is so young...you might want to ask his pediatrician for some suggestions if it doesn't clear up!

1 / 3