Constipation!

I got such great adviced from my last question, Im going to ask another!! :O)
My little one is constipated - I didnt know this until the ped told me that he should not have formed stools, but should be liquid. He told me to add some Karo syrup to his botle. That worked well, but I am the organic queen, and I dont eat corn syrup, much less feed it to my child....I tried prune juice, and he hated it! Should I start him on solids? He is 5mos old. If so, how do I do it? Would another type of juice be better?
Sleepless and stopped up in Dallas :O)

Mix the prune juice with orange juice. The orange juice hides the prune juice a bit. It's what I did for mine and it really works.

i found out that if i gave my 19 month old girl apple juice it stoped the constipatshion. Ever since she was 6 months i give her apple jucie when she is constipated. The real food it is when ever a mother feels its time. My little girl has been eating solids since she was 5 months. I was eating some bread one day and she wanted some too. You know how when a kid wants something they wine for it well thats what she was doing. Then the next day i went out and bought over $100.00 of baby food and she would not eat it. I have learned that as soon as i gave her that pice of Bread she wanted what i was eating and no more baby food.

My little one has bad gas and I tried Colic-Ease Gripe Water and it helped with the gas and she also never is constipated even when I started giving her rice cereal. It is made with all natuarl ingdents and no alcohol. I order it from Both worlds pharmacy and it is delivered the next day by ups.
It is 14.95 with no shipping. The number is ###-###-####.

We used the apple/prune Gerber juice to help our lil' one out. When we started her on solids she got constipated probably due to feeding her rice (which has added iron) and not giving enough fluids. It got so bad I had to use a suppository and it took eight hours for it to work. Now, she gets rice just at dinner with her baby food, oatmeal at breakfast with a fruit, and her lunch is only baby food. I also give her a sippy cup of water (or juice if she has not had a bm recently) about three times a day. She does not get a lot from the sippy cup, but now she is having a bm daily.

Hi S.
We just faced the constipation dilemma with our 4 month old, this past week. She woke up early monday morning crying for 2 hours. (she is not a crier) I realized about 30 minutes in, that she had not taken a bm all day. (she typically has 2 per day) Same thing happened Friday evening. We took her to the doctor Saturday morning and she felt her belly to make sure there were no other issues. Thankfully it is only constipation. The solution (believe me..IT WORKED)....we added 2 ounces of Apple-Prune juice (Gerber makes it...they have bottles at Kroger, Walmart and Target) to each bottle of formula on Saturday and Sunday. She was the opposite of constipated and all smiles. We plan to add an ounce to each bottle for the rest of the week to keep her "regular." Good luck!
As far as solids go....I read when baby starts watching you eat, its time to start trying. The nurse suggested 2 TBL of cereal, mixed with formula to a "pea soup" consistency. Try barley cereal instead of rice, my doc says it will help baby avoid constipation. They have it at Kroger.

I had the same problem but the nurse to the babys doctor said to put a 2 onces of baking soad in a bath tub and put the baby in it for about 15 mins. It helped great. After about 30 mins my son went to the bathroom.

S., MY BEST FRIENDS LITTLE GIRL WOULD NOT POOP AT ALL FOR A WEEK , SO WHEN SHE DID GO IT WAS HARD AS AROCK IT HURT SO BAD THAT SHE WOULD HOLD UNTIL ALL THE ATER WAS OUT AND IT WAS HORRIBLE ON HER. HER MOM FINALLY TOOK HER TOA SPECIALIST SND HER GSVE HERSOME ORGANIC BASED MEDICINEAND IT WORK WONDERS HOPE I HELPED YOU SOME/.

My daughter started getting really constipated when she was about a year old. It got to the point that she would scream when she finally went and the bm would be huge. after really watching her, she was making herself that way by holding it. Go figure. Her pedi put her on a mild stool softener that I can self regulate. More everyday if she is bad, Once a week or less if no signs of constipation. 8 months later and I only need to give it to her about once every other week or so. It is called Miralax powder (generic is Gloycolax powder) and you just add it to the milk, formula, juice, whatever.

I went through the same thing and I didn't like the Karo Syrup either. Apple juice keeps him regular and Pear Juice works like charm. Be prepared with Pear juice it works really, really, REALLY well. Try diluting them with water to see what strength will work best.

1 / 3