Constipation - Long Beach, CA

my 10 mo. old has constipation, any advice? we have been feeding her fruits and vegs mostly today, is there anything to give her? could rice cereal be the cause? we do make her a big bottle with lots of rice cereal in it before bed and we like to do this because she sleeps 11 hrs. every night and we think this helps

well, she is already better, thanks for all the advice, I gave her prunes,and water early this morning and that quickly helped, then juice and pears later in the day, I learned a lot from all the responses, I will keep the notes handy in case it happens again, wow karo syrup! I love this website, it's like were all rowin together

Grains can cause constipation because children don't develop the necessary enzymes to break down grains until at least 1yr. She is probably sleeping for 11hrs because that concoction is sitting in her little stomach causing her to feel full. This something that was done back when I was growing up. I don't understand why parents expect their kids to sleep through the night when most adults don't.

Try giving her prune juice. It helped with my son when he was little.
Also, celery water helps. One leaf boiled in about one cup of water. The water will change to a light green/yellow color. Let it cool then have her drink that. It really does help. This is an old remedy that has been passed down thru generations.

J. G.

I have 2 boys 5yrs and 23 month and my oldest was the same way
the best is to slow down rice cereal and use more oatmeal
cereal and the best is prunes from Gerber always work. Is not only the rice cereal is the others type of food you do in.
I know the sleep better with cereal but you can always use oatmeal works good too.For a good sleep is always good a good play time around 5pm or 6 pm so shes tired for the rest of the night. Good look !!!!

After I had my c section.....I couldn't "Go" even after a few days. I am sure that you may have experienced this. So....when it had been 3 days after, the nurse suggested warm prune juice. She was this older asian lady with an accent....and she kept saying "ahh.....you need to try it" and smiling. I was desparate, so I tried. Seriously, it worked within 20 minutes. Getting your 10 month old to drink warm prune juice may be a challenge. I would mix it with cranberry or something.

Dear Mom,

Try making a mild prune tea. Take 1-2 prunes and boil them in 2 cups of water, sweeten as needed. This has worked for many generations of babies in my family.

Both my kids have had issues with constipation, but especially my 4 year old son. For sure the rice cereal does not help. I would suggest moving to oatmeal. Also, I don't know what fruits you are giving her, but stay away from apples (including applesauce, especially the kind with cinnamon) and bananas. They start learning how to "hold" it at this age if it gets too painful, so I would definitely suggest talking to your pediatrician if the constipation doesn't improve...I hope this helps!!

Hello K.. First, rice cereal is a bad idea and if i remember correctly from my first born, this very well may be the cause of constipation. Have you tried a suppository? I know this might seem a bit harsh, but it worked for my son. Then maybe some Pedialyte til you get her to the Pediatrician. Those are my two cents. :)

KARO SYRUP CAN BE TAINTED WITH THE SAME BACTERIA AS HONEY -I THINK IT IS BOTULISM - DON'T GIVE IT TO A CHILD UNDER THE AGE OF ONE BECAUSE THEIR SYSTEMS ARE NOT BUILT UP ENOUGH TO HANDLE IT AND THEY CAN GET VERY VERY ILL.

definitely hold off on giving her any rice and banana products until after her poops have returned to normal.

In my opinion, and also lots of other peoples too, the rice cereal in her bottle isn't really helping her sleep - she is just a good sleeper - lucky you! You can give her more food during the day if you think she needs more calories - but write down what you give her and how much and at what time for about a week and then give your pediatrician a call to see if it is enough or not enough. good luck

While I understand about wanting her to sleep through the night, the rice cereal is what's causing the constipation. You might try inserting a glycerin suppository (rectally) as that usually will move things along but until you reduce the rice, she'll probably continue to have problems...

I am a Mom and Grandma, I'm 51 yrs.old mother of 3 youngest being 12. He had alotof trouble with constipation we changed his milk in take to soy ( silk is the brand I use to this day) problem gone. good luck Plus water is a must.

1 / 3