Constipated 7 Month Old

My 7 month old gets constipated just about every time I introduce a new solid to him. I don't like to use suppostories. Any other suggestions?

My doctor told me to use 4 oz. of boiled water, cooled to room temp. and either 1 teaspoon of brown sugar or prune juice. My baby was only 8 weeks at that time so you may need to use a little more brown sugar/prune juice.

My daughter was the same way (she's 9 months old now). I had to put her on miralax(it's over the counter in the isle w/ metamucil) 1/2 capful a day in 4 oz of white grape juice. I tried the old karo syrup trick and it didn't work. So far the miralax is all that has worked on a consistant basis. Her peditrician recommeded this for us.

My gasterologist says that constipation is a reaction caused from not enough liquids. Try lots of water if he will drink it. Hope this helps! SC

Hello C.,

I have found that Jarrow baby acidolphulus and plenty of water does a lot to keep them regular. It is also excellent for their immune system. Don't give during a round of antibiotics because it can count-act the effectiveness, but certainly after. You can put it in their drink, or sprinkle it on their food, like bananas. However, I didn't give any of my children solid food until they were at least 12 months old. I would stick to baby food, homemade or pre-made. If this isn't providing enough for the baby, try supplementing rice cereal w/ fruit juice or mashed bananas.

Our babies are about the same age. My son was constipated for about 3 months of his life. We finally switched formulas and he was great! We're actually using Parent's Choice Wal Mart Brand formula now. We also had the same problem when we started feeding him solids. We switched brands of foods and he was ok. Not sure, but it worked. When he was little, we gave him half strength apple juice (half water, half juice) and used dark karo syrup in his formula once or twice a day. you can give him water in a sippy cup now, he should be old enough (just a little water a few times a day...maybe an ounce). if nothing else works, i would go see your pediatrician or a gastroenterologist. Hope your little one gets regular soon!

C., I am a Great-Grandmother, and the Mother of 3 Daughters, the best old fashioned remedy for constipation of a baby is a tablespoon of Karo white syrup in a formula bottle twice a day. It has worked on all my babies, and doesn't have any side affects. You won't have to do it forever, it is just hard for some babies to adjust to solids.

Try applesauce as part of the meal. That always works with my son or Apple Juice. Be care not to overdo it or he could get diarrhea.

My ped recommended 1tbsp dark karo to 2oz of water. Mix it in a bottle and voila!

My youngest had the same problem. I got George's brand Aloe Vera juice from the health food store. It is clean and tasteless. I added a bit to her bottle and that solved that problem and a host of others. No more diaper rashes or thrush which we had battled for months. Good luck!!

Try giving him apple juice. This always helped when mine were small.

1 / 3