Constantly Congested Toddler

Hello Moms, I really need your help. I have a 17 month old who constantly stays congested. During the day it doesn't seem to bother him, although I know he breaths out of his mouth alot. At night, well that's another story....he sounds so terrible, I'm constantly waking up checking on him to make sure he's ok. He has the hardest time breathing through his nose. He's currently getting over a cold so its more worse now than on an average day. I have tried everything. He has a humidifier in his room, an air purifier, a vick's vaporizer, I've given him saline drops in his nose, and now I'm at my wits end on how to help him. His Pediatrician suggested small doses of Benadryl. That's not helping either. Can anyone offer suggestions on ways to shorten if not get rid of his congestion all together.

I wanted to suggest along with Emily to try Chiropractic care. My daughter is stuffed up a lot. We were told that she has a sensitive nose and to treat it like it was an allergy. We tried several different medicines for her but nothing worked. When I started taking her to a chiropractor, the first thing I noticed was she wasn't getting stuffed up near as much. And when she does, it doesn't last as long. We are still taking her because it seems to be the only thing that makes a difference.

Did you try taking him to see a specialist...like a ear,nose, and throat doctor or an allergy/asthma specialist. Sounds to me like he needs to see someone right away. He shouldn't have to suffer every night. And you shouldn't have to worry every night if he is okay.

My son was like this from the day he was born until he had his adenoids removed. He was a new kid after that! Good luck!

I had the same problem with my daughter, starting at age 3. She sounded the same, never breathed thru her mouth and at night would have episodes where it sounded like she would 'skip a breath' and wake up gasping for air. Although I agree with allergies having a part in his health, I feel that I must press the issue with the other responses to take your son to an ENT (we also saw Dr. Haupert-wonderful with children!). I was amazed at what symptoms enlarged tonsils/adenoids could cause. When swollen they can block nasal passages and since your son is so young he doesn't have too much room in his head anyway so any enlargement will have some effect. My daughter was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and xrays showed her adenoids and tonsils were only allowing a fraction of airway in her throat when lying down and that they had gotten in the way of all sinus/nasal passages. We had them all removed and the difference has been unbelievable. I highly recommend at least getting an appt. to check tonsils/adenoids then I would concentrate on an allergist. Good luck!

I would start with completely taking DAIRY out of his diet. It is very often the culprit with upper respiratory issues. NO milk, cheese, yogurt. Give him LOTS of water. Try it for a couple of weeks or so and see if it improves. I would stay away from the Benedryl, as that will only tke away some of the symptoms at best. There is a great group in Grosse Pointe who detect and get rid of allergies...naturally. go to www.ahccenter.com
I would love to know what happens. Good luck!

Here's some thoughts: Encourage him to sleep on his back so you can elevate the head of his mattress by putting towels or something under it. I've also heard that putting Vick Vapor Rub on his feet (with loose socks) helps. Put him in the bathroom for a steam treatment (read to him while the shower is pushing out a hot blast of steam).

Another thought is to press your pediatrician - is it allergies? Do you have pets? If he allergic to something he sleeps with (pillow, stuffed animal, etc.) If so, get a referral to an allergist so you can find the triggers.

The first that I would suggest to to take all dairy out of the diet for at least 2-3 weeks. Completely. I have seen too many kids that are so congested all due to a milk allergy. If you currently don't do any diary, you should try a homeopathic dr. I can recommend a great one. There may be something else going on in the body that you don't know about...both my kids (age 4 and 2) have gotten adjusted as well regularly, starting the first week after they were born. my youngest can't have any dairy and has a wheat sensitivity issue. I hope you figure it out.

This sounds just like my son! He also was at the very bottom of the growth chart, in the 3rd percentile. His nose was runny all the time, even though he had no cold and no sinus infection. It turned out that he had MASSIVE adenoids, and once his tonsils and adenoids came out, his breathing was easier and he actually gained 20% of his body weight in 6 weeks (poor kid had a hard time eating and breathing at the same time). See a pediatric ear, nose & throat specialist--we saw Dr. Glen Green at U of M and he was wonderful. Good luck!

Your child must have some severe allergies to be breathing out of his mouth alot- his tonsils may be very enlarged, also, and this must be addressed or it will cause his facial bones to not develop properly. His upper jaw will be small, leading to crowded teeth- I was a dental hygienist for 31 yrs. and saw this often. Also, if the problem is worse at night, what type of laundry products are you using? Most laundry detergents are petroleum based and full of chemicals, which he is breathing in all night. Try switching to natural household products, like Shaklee, which are plant based and chemical free. If this interests you, check out my Mamasource business, 'M. Goes Green'.
For an alternative treatment for the allergies, try to find a Chiropractor that uses the NAET system, a totally harmless electric system, which can eliminate allergies- really! My granddaughter has done it and it seems to work. There is a really good Dr.in Birch Run area- contact me if you are interested in his name. He has cleared people of life- threatening peanut allergies and many other things, also. Good luck.

Sounds strange, but Grandmother did this with all her 9 kids and her grandbabies. I even did it to myself when I was congested and it WORKED! From a medicine squeeze tip dropper: drop one drop (NOT dropperFUL) just one drop of Castor Oil into one side of nasal passage. Let the oil roll in and once it is into the nasal passage then apply one drop to the other nasal passage. The cold will come up and the baby will breathe better so you can get some sleep. My husband and I could not figure out how this home remedy continues to work to this day. Lastly another option may be to change the babies milk from regular to soy milk. So ask your doctor if this is an option!

You have a lot of good responses, but wanted to let you know this sounds just like my kid. He too had the constant stuffing/running nose and when he lays down he coughs cause it running down his throat...gross. It's Seasonal allergies. He was put on Flonas and has been perfectly fine until this summer, which has been reported on as the worst seasonal allergy season in years, so he was also just put on Claritan. Do either you or your hubby have seasonal allergies? If so, I would take him back to the pediatrician and tell them that you or your hubby have allergies and would like the baby checked out for them too.

Hope this helps ~ Thanks

1 / 3